Interested sophomore students should submit applications to the Holleran Center in the fall.
Steps in the Application Process
1. Attend an application meeting/info session on Wednesday, September 19, 2012, at 4 or 7pm in Blaustein 210 and submit the Statement of Interest form. Applying students complete the Statement of Interest at the application meeting/info session. This does not commit students to proceed with the application process.
2. Meet with a PICA application adviser.
The Holleran Center staff will assign each applicant to a faculty member who serves on the Steering Committee of the Holleran Center. These faculty members will be able to answer questions about the program requirements, give advice about the application procedures, and provide helpful feedback on the essay.
3. Request recommendations from a Connecticut College faculty member and a community member.
Each application must include two recommendations, one from a Connecticut College faculty member and one from a community member who has supervised the student's work outside the classroom. This work may have been as a volunteer or as a paid employee.
4. Obtain a transcript or grade report.
Transcripts and grade reports are available at the Office of the Registrar at no charge to students.
5. Submit the completed PICA application to the Holleran Center by November 15.
A completed application consists of the following seven elements:
1. Application form/cover sheet available through ePortfolio
2. Essay, typewritten, double-spaced, 3 to 5 pages in length
3. Connecticut College faculty member recommendation
4. Community member recommendation
5. Transcript or grade report
7. Completed PICA Proposed Program of Study Form accessed through ePortfolio
The Holleran Center steering committee reviews all applications. Students will be notified of acceptance into the program by the end of the semester.
Holleran Center for Community Action
and Public Policy
270 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320-4196