Timeline: Junior Spring Study Abroad
For Junior Spring semester; Spring SATA
If you hope to study away in the spring of your junior year, you can begin the process in the second semester of your sophomore year before summer break.
April/May of the sophomore year
- Read the Study Away Guide and Handbook (CamelWeb login required). A link can be found from the College's homepage to Resources for Students or on CamelWeb.
- Meet with Office of Study Away staff if you need assistance finding a study away program or have questions about the study away application process.
- Begin discussing your study away intentions with your academic adviser(s).
Junior Year (First Semester)
- Schedule a meeting with Office of Study Away staff for any assistance on finalizing a first or second choice program or help with completing study away applications (Not mandatory).
- If you still need to apply for a U.S. Passport, be sure to request "Expedited Service" (Very Important).
- If considering an unapproved program, make an appointment to meet with the Director of the Office of Study Away, Shirley Parson, (firstname.lastname@example.org). Bring materials regarding the program’s admission requirements, courses, credits, housing, and student support services.
- Complete the CC Study Away Application – this can be found in the Office of Study Away and on CamelWeb (within the "Study Away" Folder).
- Make an appointment to meet with your Academic Adviser(s) in your major to complete the Academic Adviser Form. You should bring any available course descriptions of classes that you propose to take during your semester away. Be sure to meet with you minor adviser if you intend to count courses toward your minor.
- Ask 2 professors to complete the CC Faculty Recommendation Form. It is the responsibility of the student to make sure that this form is completed and submitted to the Office of Study Away before the study abroad deadline.
- Friday, September 13, 2013: The FINAL DAY to submit all CC Study Away Application materials by 5 p.m. The Faculty Study Away Committee (FSAC) will not consider late or incomplete applications. Students will be notified via campus mail of the Committee’s decision to grant CC approval.
- Immediately after approval, bring the Undergraduate Program Approval Form (also called the Approval of Participation Form or the Authorization/Evaluation Form) to the Office of Study Away for the director's signature.
- Request an official copy of your transcript from the Office of the Registrar (105 Fanning Hall) to be mailed to your study away program. Please note that it can take up to a week for your transcript to arrive by mail.
- Complete your application(s) for your approved study away program(s). Application deadlines can be found on the program’s website – it is the responsibility of the student to know all deadlines. Since most study abroad programs have rolling admissions, do not wait until the last minute to apply to your study abroad program.
- Research more about your study abroad country. Start reading online newspapers and magazines, and purchase a travel guide. Talk to other students who have studied abroad in the same country.
- Students should only pre-register for classes if they have not been accepted into their study abroad program.
- Make your acceptance deposit to your accepted program. The College will credit your Connecticut College account for the amount of the deposit. Your program will send you visa materials and information upon receiving your deposit.
- Begin researching country-specific student visa instructions and application requirements online. Follow all instructions sent by study away programs regarding applying for a student visa and promptly ask questions if you are confused about any part of the visa application process. Do not wait until the last minute to schedule visa application meetings with embassies or consulates!
- Attend the Study Away Student-to-Student Meeting.
- Purchase your flight.
- Attend a mandatory CC Pre-departure Meeting. The date will be announced via e-mail.
- Friday, December 13, 2013: Last day to submit the CC Study Away Waiver and the Study Away Notification Form to the Office of Study Away.
Shirley Parson, Director
Office of Study Away
270 Mohegan Avenue
Fanning Hall 113
New London, CT 06320-4196