In the dance department at Connecticut College, we encourage you to find your individual artistic voice. As a dance major, you may find yours in our focus areas of movement technique, dance studies (history and theory), and choreography and improvisation.
The dance department strives to:
- Offer a diverse range of movement techniques
- Instill a deep and factual understanding of anatomical information in order to be more articulate in the body
- Expose our students to artistic traditions and current trends in dance-making
- Foster critical thinking and emphasize the ability to express oneself through language
- Raise social and cultural awareness
- Provide a methodology for creation, editing and presentation of one’s work in order to move from conceptual idea to performance
- Facilitate a high level of craft alongside a radical artistic voice in choreographic work
We work with integrity, rigor and diligence in order to teach you to be a citizen who contributes to the world. As a dance major, you will graduate to become part of the next generation of trailblazing dance artists.
Our faculty are actively engaged in creating and presenting dance nationally and internationally.
Like many of our alumni, as a dance major you may go on to become a dancer, choreographer, dance therapist, physical therapist, teacher, arts administrator, or go on to work behind the scenes in production.
Department of Dance
270 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320-4196