Elementary Education Certification Requirements
In order to be certified by the State of Connecticut at Connecticut College in the elementary levels, students need to take EDU 223 in the spring of their freshman year or sometime during their sophomore year. (If you are contemplating taking this gateway course after that, you should contact the certification officer to determine if there is adequate time for you to meet all certification requirements before graduation.)
All students seeking elementary certification are required by the State of Connecticut to take the following General Education requirements to be certified. Many of these requirements correlate to Connecticut College area requirements. Careful planning will minimize the courses you would need to take to meet both the state requirements for certification and Connecticut College's requirements for graduation. Also it is important to note that AP and IB credits that appear on your transcript will meet the state requirements in those specific areas.
An overall GPA of 2.7 is required by the state for teacher certification.
General Education Requirements:
- U.S. History (a survey course that must cover at least 75 years - some American Studies classes are acceptable. Many students take HIST 105)
- Science (the state will accept Psychology 101 as a natural science)
- Mathematics (must be listed under Math Department)
- Foreign Language or a four credit course in one of the following subjects: Art/Music/Dance /Theater
All elementary certification candidates entering the program after the fall of 2009 must meet the professional certification requirements of the State of Connecticut listed below.
Professional Education Requirements:
- EDU 103: Drug & AIDS Education
- EDU 223: Foundations of Education
- HMD 225: Individual Differences in Development
- HMD 111: Introduction to Human Development
- EDU 304: Math & Science in the Elementary School
- EDU 313: Children, Books and Culture
- EDU 341: Literacy in the Elementary Schools (6 credits)
- EDU 445: Student Teaching in the Elementary School
- EDU 450: Student Teaching Seminar in Critical Pedagogy: Elementary and Secondary School
For more information, please contact the certification officer Charlie Cocores, 860-439-2761.
270 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320-4196
Located on Williams Street, beind Harkness Chapel