The core areas of the major are French language and French literature and culture, and the two domains will be interdependent throughout your four years. The beginning courses will introduce you to the language using authentic materials in literature and culture. Conversely, as you develop a better, finer command of the language, you will be able to penetrate more sophisticated and complex texts.
For a full list of courses, and major and minor requirements, please consult the course catalog.
Some of our course offerings:
- The French cultural experience
- The French literary experience
- Words in Translation
- Civilization Through Conversation
- French Cinema
- Cities on the Screen: Constructing Urban Space in the Cinema
- New Wave Film
- French Poetry of the 19th Century
- Dandyism and Performance in French Literature