Student Organizations

There are a variety of student organizations at Connecticut College and students are encouraged to participate in them. Extracurricular activities provide not only opportunities to meet other students and to become more comfortable with the college atmosphere, but also give you the satisfaction of having done something useful for yourself and for the College.

As Connecticut College is fairly small, it is possible to really make an impact on campus, should you choose to do so. The executive boards of clubs are also tight knit, but open communities that tend to become good friends and provide a support group, aside from teaching invaluable skills. Most groups have Freshmen Representative positions and while freshmen involvement is not limited to them, they are a good starting point. A list of clubs and their descriptions can be found in the "Over the Hump" booklet. At the beginning of the semester, there will be a student activities fair. All are encouraged to definitely go to that fair and sign up in as many clubs as interest you. Try out new things - you might end up loving it!

Religious and Spiritual Life

The College has regular Jewish, Catholic and Protestant services. We also have Muslim, Unitarian and A.M.E. Zion chaplains associated with the College. See the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life website for more information. The "Over the Hump" booklet lists houses of worship in New London and surrounding area. If you have any questions, please contact the chaplains' administrative assistant at Ext. 2450.

Office of Volunteers for Community Service (OVCS)

The Office of Volunteers for Community Service (OVCS) (Ext 2458) coordinates a volunteer fair soon after classes start. You can go to the fair and learn more information about different kinds of volunteer activities throughout Southeastern Connecticut ranging from helping out in public schools to get certified to handle alligators at the local aquarium or even working in the emergency room of a nearby hospital. OVCS also has a van that takes you to your job if you need it.

Vacations and Breaks

Most international students cannot afford to go home for every break. They generally prefer to stay on campus or visit some of their friends or relatives elsewhere in the country. Those who do not plan to leave campus will be provided with room and board after filling out an application, but will have to pay for the expenses themselves. Typically, the living costs during breaks are $110 per week. There are two short breaks during the fall semester: the fall break and the Thanksgiving break. All dining halls will remain closed during Thanksgiving break, which lasts for 4 days, so students planning to stay on campus need to sign up for a special meal plan or get food from outside the campus.

Winter break, between the two semesters, is longer and lasts for about 3 to 4 weeks. Students staying over the break must move in to the dorms in the 'Plex' (Hamilton, Johnson, Park, Lambdin, Wright or Morrisson) if they are not normally housed there during the semester. The applicant must find someone in the Plex who is willing to let him/her use their room, fill out an application form and get an approval from the Office of Residential Education and Living. At the end of the break, everyone will go back to his/her original housing assignment.

Spring break, which takes place in the middle of the spring semester, is about 15 days long and the accommodation procedures are the same as those for winter break. If you plan to visit your friends or a relative, you need to plan ahead for your trip. Book your bus or airplane tickets well before your departure date so that you can get cheap offers. It should refresh you after a busy school schedule. Should you have any doubts about these matters, you are advised to consult with your International Student Adviser.

Look at the academic year calendar to find out the dates for summer, winter and spring breaks.