Employee Handbook  Back to Camelweb Home
Employee Handbook
Table of Contents
Welcome to the Connecticut College Community!
College Policies
Employment Information
Benefits
Leave Benefits
Salary and Wage Policy
College Resources and Facilities
Leaving Connecticut College
Glossary of Terms
Hourly Administrative Addendum
Salaried Administrative Addendum
Campus Safety Addendum
Dining Services Addendum
Physical Plant Addendum
Employee Handbook Printer Friendly Version
 Connecticut College History
 Connecticut College is a coeducational, privately supported, highly selective liberal arts college located in New London on the northern shore of Long Island Sound.
 The college was chartered in 1911 in direct response to a vote taken a year earlier by the Wesleyan University board of trustees to admit only men to the university. That left no private educational institution in Connecticut where women could earn a Bachelor of Arts degree.
 Connecticut College for Women opened in September 1915, with a student body of 101 regular and 50 special students led by a faculty of 20. At that time the College consisted of New London Hall, site of all academic and administrative departments; two dormitories, Plant and Branford; Thames Hall, a wooden refectory building (now replaced by Becker House); and a power plant.
 By the early sixties, the student body had expanded to 1400, and twenty-four more buildings had been constructed. In 1969, men were admitted to undergraduate degree programs, thereby converting the college into a coeducational institution. Currently there are more than 1,600 students.
 A History of Connecticut College, written by Professor of English and Dean Emeritus Gertrude E. Noyes and published in 1982, presents the College history in detail. This publication is available in the College Library and the bookstore.