Guide for Friends

Sources of help for students in need

Sometimes friends are the first to notice if a fellow student is experiencing some emotional difficulty or upset, because they may seem withdrawn or depressed, or they may be more anxious, or there may be some other behavior change that seems out of character. Connecticut College students have a reputation for looking out for one another and wish to help a fellow student who seems in need. Having a good friend listen to a problem can be just what a person needs when things seem to be going wrong.

Sometimes students trying to help other students can end up feeling overwhelmed, stressed and alone because they are not prepared to handle some concerns that students in need may have. If this should happen, it is a good sign that the helping student should suggest that the student check out the Student Counseling Services for more professional help, or, at the least, a consultation.

If you should find yourself in this position and aren't sure how to talk to a trouble student about seeking more help, the staff of the Student Counseling Services could be a resource for you. We could review the situation with you and suggest ways to communicate your concerns. When making a referral to the Student Counseling Services, you could suggest that the student make the call to schedule an appointment (x4587) or you could go with the student to the Administrative Assistant in the Warnshuis Health Center to schedule an appointment for an evaluation. It is especially helpful to accompany the student to the Health Center if you think the student should be seen sooner than later. You could even attend part of the initial session to support your friend or to express your concerns.

One trap that students get into is promising never to tell anyone else about an issue or concern that another student has. While it is important to keep some things private, that is, not to gossip or broadcast personal information someone has told you, there are times when a student's well being or safety may require the other student seek the assistance of a more skilled helper. By all means it is appropriate for students to promise to keep another student's personal matters private. However, some situations require getting the assistance of other resources, especially, if you are feeling burdened or overwhelmed.

If the student that you are trying to help refuses to go to the Student Counseling Services for even a consultation, you could convey your concerns to one of the resources in the list below. These resources are part of the support network for the students here at the college. They can be proactive in reaching out to students in need. They can also be a source of support for you.

  • Housefellows, House Governors and Area Coordinators
  • Dean of Student Life, the Associate Dean of Student Life and the Director of Residential Education and Living
  • Academic Deans, the Dean of Instruction, the Dean of Multicultural Affairs, Unity House Staff, LGBTQ Director, Dean of Religious and Spiritual Life, the Chaplains, OVCS staff, etc.
  • Campus Safety
  • Professors, Instructors, Coaches, etc.
  • Student Health Services
  • Peer Educators, Director of Student Wellness and Alcohol & Drug Education

If you think that a student is in imminent danger of hurting him/herself or someone else, contact Campus Safety x111.

Contact information:

Phone: 860-439-4587
Fax: 860-439-2317
Emergency contact: Campus Safety, 860-439-2222

For student appointments, call x4587
or email

Student Counseling Services
Warnshuis Health Center
270  Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320-4196

National Suicide Crisis Line:
800-273-TALK (8255)


Southeast CT Mental Health Authority Crisis Response
(7 days per week but not 24 hours)

Trevor Project Crisis Hotline


Mental Health Online Screening


Like us on Facebook!


Connecticut College cares -- It's okay to ask for help. Check out the I Have a Therapist video.