- Camel Card
- Residential Life
- Student Activities & Organizations
- Career Guidance/CELS
- Student Leadership
- Student Counseling Services
- Student Accessibility Services
- Student Health Services
- Student Wellness
- Religious & Spiritual Life
- Think S.A.F.E. Project
- Advising & Mentoring
- Dean of the College
- Campus Safety
- The Women's Center
- Unity House
- LGBTQ Center
Care When We Are Closed
It is difficult to be sick when away from home and making a decision about what to do may be made more problematic when you do not feel well. However, there are several options available for students when Student Health Services is closed:
- 24-Hour Nurse Line
- Local Walk-In Clinics
- Local Hospitals/Emergency Rooms
24-hour Nurse Line
All students have access to the 24-hour Nurse Line provided by our insurer, Combined Insurance Company of America, at (800) 850-4556. While the nurses cannot diagnose over the phone they can advise students in making decisions about seeking health care and may direct students to services available when Student Health Services is closed.
Local Walk-In Clinics (see directions below)
Montville Backus Health Center
80 Norwich-New London Turnpike, Uncasville, 06382
Phone: (860) 889-8331
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Charter Oak Walk-In Medical Center
324 Flanders Road, East Lyme, 06333
Phone: (860) 739-6953
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Sunday: 12:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Seaport Medical Center, Walk-In Clinic
56 Whitehall Avenue, Mystic, 06355
Phone: (860) 572-8282
Monday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Local Hospitals/Emergency Rooms (see directions below)
Lawrence and Memorial Hospital (L & M)
345 Montauk Avenue, New London, 06320
Phone: (860) 442-0711
Open 24 hours
Pequot Medical Center
52 Hazelnut Hill Road, Groton, 06340
Phone: (860) 446-8265
Open from 7 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Use of the emergency room should be considered carefully. Since they are both considered emergency treatment, many insurances will charge a co-pay for the visit. The Connecticut College Student Health Insurance, for example, charges a $50 co-pay for use of the emergency room (unless you are admitted as an inpatient). You will always have to use your own judgment in making a decision to seek care at the emergency room.
And finally, you may visit Columbia University's Health Education Program website, Go Ask Alice, for answers to many student questions on health matters.
Reasons to go to the Emergency Room
- Sexual violence: First, if you think you (or a friend) have been the victim of sexual assault, see the Think S.A.F.E. website for the brochure, "What to Do If You Need Help."
- Severe shortness of breath
- Loss of consciousness/change in consciousness/seizure
- Sudden, severe pain (abdominal, chest, head) which is not relieved with over the counter medication.
- A major injury
- Bleeding that does not stop after 10 minutes of direct pressure, or a deep cut which may need stitches in order to stop the bleeding.
- Poisoning or overdose
- Severe or worsening reaction to an insect bite or sting, or to a medication, especially if breathing is difficult
- Severe or persistent vomiting
- Suicidal or homicidal feelings
- Severe vaginal bleeding which may indicate a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy
Conditions which could probably wait until Health Services is open may include:
- Fever which goes down with Tylenol or aspirin
- Sore throat, colds, cough, earache
- Minor cuts or burns
- Skin rash
- Mild nausea with vomiting or diarrhea without fever
- Mild burning or irritation on urination
- Chronic joint or muscle pain/strain
If you need transportation, call Campus Safety at ext. 111 and they can arrange for a cab for you. If an ambulance is needed, they will call one for you.
Again, you must use your best judgment on how to care for yourself when we are not open. You may enlist the advice of a housefellow, area coordinator, friend, or family member as well as the Hotline.
Student Health Services
270 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320-4196