General Student Health Insurance FAQs

Q: If I am already covered by my family's health insurance, is there a reason that I should also consider taking the College's insurance as well?

A. This is a matter of convenience and privacy. When you are sick, the last thing you want to do is think about saving receipts, processing claims, sending information home to your parents, etc. If you purchase the College's Health Insurance Plan, fees for the College doctor's visits, dispensed medications, in-house lab tests, and psychiatric consults done through Student Health Services will be processed for you. If you do not purchase the College's Health Insurance Plan, these charges will appear as a "Health Service Fee" on your College bill. You will need to submit receipts for claims to your parents' insurance company to seek reimbursement.

Back to Top »

Q: Why can't you process my private insurance?

With over 1800 students from many states and countries, the task of processing all those different claims would be formidable.

Back to Top »

Q: What is not covered by the Student Health Insurance?

The plan does not cover some immunizations, routine physical exams or most screening tests. There is an $10 co-pay for MD visits at Student Health Services ($25 for other in-network MD visits) and a $15-30 co-pay for most prescription medications as well as a $100 co-pay for use of the emergency room (applies only to sickness, not accidents).

Back to Top »

Q: If I decline the student health insurance, can I still use the College's Student Health Services?

A. Yes, all full-time students may use the Student Health Services. However, if you decline the Colleges Health Insurance Plan, MD visits or any other charges such as in-house labs or certain dispensed medicines will be charged to your student account and a coded receipt will be given to you to submit to your insurance for reimbursement. It is advisable to fax a copy of your insurance/pharmacy card to Student Health whether or not you take the offered college plan. (860-439-5430 fax).

Back to Top »

Q: After I have explored all my options and if I decide that I do not want to purchase the College's insurance, what do I do?

You complete the "online waiver" or contact Gallagher Koster at 877-373-2405. Insurance consultants contracted by the College will determine if your coverage is comparable to the College's health insurance, thereby making you eligible for the waiver.

Back to Top »

Q: If I decline the college’s insurance my freshman year, will the waiver cover the rest of my time at the college?

No, it will not. You must complete the online waiver each year of enrollment at Connecticut College. The link to the online waiver is on the "Insurance" information page.

Back to Top »

Q: Will I have the opportunity to decline the insurance now and accept it later?

A. If your family's coverage changes due to employment or other domestic reasons, we can enroll you at a later date.

Back to Top »

Q: Does the insurance go through the summer?

Yes, the insurance provides annual coverage, effective August 15 to August 14 of the following year.

Back to Top »

Q: If I am studying away in the fall, will this insurance cover me?

A. Yes.

Back to Top »

Q: If I am studying away in the fall, can I wait to purchase the insurance for the spring semester?

Yes, you may waive the insurance and later purchase the insurance in January, which will provide coverage from January 1 - August 14. It will be your responsibility to notify the Administrative Assistant in Student Health Services of your intent to purchase the spring term insurance.

Back to Top »

Q: If I am studying away in the spring, may I purchase the insurance for the fall semester only?

No, you may not purchase the insurance for the fall semester only. In order for us to maintain the low premium, the single semester option is limited to the spring.

Back to Top »

Q: If I need a referral to a specialist, can I get one without the insurance?

Your personal insurance may require a referral from your primary provider at home; we will assist you in trying to obtain this approval.

Back to Top »

Q: If I want to know the charges on a student bill that relate to health services can I request an explanation?

A. We will be happy to provide an explanation of any charges to the student. Due to confidentiality, we cannot talk to parents without written permission from the student.

Back to Top »

Contact Information

Phone: 860-439-2275
Fax: 860-439-5430


Student Health Services
Warnshuis Building
Connecticut College
270 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320-4196