The mission of the Connecticut College Womxn’s Center is to educate, advocate, and create an environment where historically marginalized identities are discussed critically and openly celebrated. As a community, we place the praxis of feminist intersectionality and social justice at the center and strive to represent the diverse and evolving needs of all individuals in relation to the vast spectrum of gender.
We manifest our mission by:
- Engaging the community through programs, resource referral, and services.
- Fostering an environment that offers a safe space for discussing issues related to gender equity.
- Recruiting student staff members who are knowledgeable about the many issues we seek to address.
- Celebrating the accomplishments of Womxn and empowering students across multiple identities to engage in dialogue.
- Collaborating with various student organizations, offices, and academic departments to build solidarity within the Connecticut College and local New London community.
The Personal is Political: Why Womxn?
The terms “woman” and “women” have long been recognized as problematic, given that they are symbolic and linguistic representations of female-bodied persons as appendages of and subordinate to male-bodied persons. This conceptualization validates and helps to perpetuate gender discrimination, prejudice, and institutionalized sexism while also marginalizing those who do not fall into the dominant intersections of gender, race, and sexual orientation. With this in mind, we have chosen to replace the “a” and “e” in the traditional spelling of woman/women with an “x.” This reflects an ideological shift to a more inclusive conceptualization that recognizes the many struggles and identities existing along the continuum of gender. Also, an “x” serves as a symbolic and linguistic representation of the cross-sections of intersectionality and of the idea of ambiguity and fluidity that is lacking in the traditional spelling of the word.
We are located on the garden level of Smith House, right below Smith dining hall.
For more information about our events and services or to get on our mailing list please email email@example.com or like us on Facebook.