Ronan Y. Chalmin
Ronan Chalmin's teaching interests include Enlightenment and Counter-Enlightenment; revolution and counter-revolution in France; The Libertin in the 17 and/or 18th century fiction; The Honnête Homme in the 17-18th centuries; utopia and dystopia (Renaissance-20th century); metamorphosis of the self (Renaissance-19th century) and the cinematic adaptation of novels and plays (18th-21st centuries.)
Ronan Chalmin's first book, "Lumières et corruption", published by Honoré Champion in 2010, examines the central role of corruption in 18th-century France. It shows how the notion of “corruption,” broadly understood as moral, physical, political, and philosophical degradation, played a crucial but hidden role in the Enlightenment’s efforts to perfect man and his society. His new project, "Lire Babeuf. La création littéraire d'un révolutionnaire (1760-1797)," is a study on Gracchus Babeuf’s revolutionary eloquence.
Professor Chalmin teaches elementary, lower intermediate and intermediate French language and culture; and these upper-level courses: French 326. Civilization through Conversation. La France en révolution (1789-1989); French 327. Introduction to Literary Analysis. Les classiques de la littérature française (16e-20e siècles); French 331. The Making of Modern France: Ideology, Politics, and Culture (1654-1804); French 418. The Enlightenment and Its Discontents (1715-1799); French 426. The Art of Rebellion: the Libertine and the Dandy (17th-19th Centuries); French 435. La Liberté ou la Mort. Reading Revolutionary France (1789-1815); and French 437. Eros Enlightened. Love and Desire in the Age of Enlightenment.
Chalmin's publications include:
- “Ethique et rhétorique de la révolution chez Gracchus Babeuf et Toussaint Louverture,” in Modern Language Notes (French Issue), forthcoming in 2015
- “Malade de son génie… : raconter les pathologies des gens de lettres, de Tissot à Balzac,” (en collaboration avec Anne C. Vila), in Dix-huitième siècle, n°47, 2015, p. 253-270.
- “La Palette d’Hippocrate. Impressions chromatiques sur La Mounine de Francis Ponge,” in Littérature, n°168, 2012, p. 21-30.
- “Or/gasme. Pour une érotique de l’or dans Facino Cane de Balzac," Romanic Review, Columbia University, 2011
- "La République populicide. Relire Du système de dépopulation de Gracchus Babeuf," Dix-huitième Siècle, 2011
- “Arcana imperii — Coup et secret d’Etat dans Le Tartuffe de Molière”, in Littérature, n°155, Paris, Larousse/Armand Colin, September 2009
Professor Chalmin has taught French language and literature at Yale University and Tulane University. He also worked as a production assistant for French TV movies (France Télévisions), and as an editing assistant for the Editions Gallimard in Paris.
Ronan Y. Chalmin
270 Mohegan Ave.
New London, CT 06320
303 Blaustein Humanities