These procedures are designed to minimize physical deterioration or damage to records transferred to the Archives and to ensure that they will be readily retrievable after transfer.
- Conduct a Records Survey to identify and separate active records or ephemeral material.
- Obtain boxes (records cartons) for your records.
- Fill boxes (from front to back) with files; maintain the order in which the files were created or used and do not over-pack the box.
- Number the boxes consecutively and discretely in pencil. Do not apply labels to the boxes.
- Make a list of box contents/inventory (include dates whenever possible).
- Complete the Records Transfer Form (attach your inventory to the Records Transfer Form).
- Insert the Records Transfer Form and inventory in the first box; keep a copy for your records.
- Tie the boxes to keep the lids on. Please do not tape them shut.
- Contact the College Archives in advance of delivery so we know it's coming.
- Put in a work order to arrange delivery to the College Archives (Locked) Cage on the third floor of Shain Library. Please do not leave archival materials outside the Lear Center doors on the Shain Library loading dock.
- Upon delivery, notification will be sent to originating office and a copy of the Records Transfer Form will be returned with an accession number for future retrieval.
When transferring digital records to the Archives for permanent retention, please contact the Archivist for instructions.