Work for the IT Service Desk
Are there jobs available at the IT Service Desk?
Yes, students currently enrolled at Connecticut College are able to apply for an IT Service Desk Assistant position at anytime throughout the semester. These positions are primarily federal work study positions, but if there are not enough work study students available to fill the positions, other students will be considered.
What qualifications do I need to have to be considered for a position at the IT Service Desk?
An IT Service Desk Assistant must meet most of the qualifications listed below. Although employees attend mandatory training sessions throughout the semester, this is a fast paced, highly complex job that requires a "higher than average" level of computer skill and some customer service experience.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide first-level contact and problem resolution for all users with hardware, software and applications problems. Resolve as many user-reported problems as expertise permits using available tools, and following procedures and policies for the handling of support cases.
- Courteously obtain and convey concise problem information for external and internal service personnel. Demonstrate exemplary customer service skills.
- Provide accurate and timely logging of service requests or technical issues and resolution for issues in Web Help Desk, our online service management tracking tool.
- Escalate problems as appropriate following IT Service Desk procedures.
- Develop troubleshooting skills by using effective investigative methods and using IT Service Desk troubleshooting tools.
- Act as a liaison between customers and internal support staff to assure accurate problem interpretation.
- Maintain communications with customers during the problem resolution process.
- Ensure compliance with security and data protection standards.
- Completion of at least one semester of study at Connecticut College before employment begins.
- Working knowledge of current software used by Connecticut College (i.e. Microsoft operating systems, Macintosh operating systems, Google Apps, Office products, etc.).
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Good technical knowledge and troubleshooting skills.
- Aptitude for training and developing customers.
- Self-confidence and a good work ethic.
- Ability to proactively identify tasks that need to be done.
- Multitasking skills and ability to work in a high stress environment.
- Ability to work as a team.
- General knowledge of computer hardware and networking preferred.
- Macintosh experience preferred.
- Prior experience in a customer service environment preferred
How do I apply for a job at the IT Service Desk?
If you meet the following qualifications and wish to apply for an IT Service Desk Assistant position, please send a resume or a brief statement describing your computer troubleshooting experience and customer service experience to the IT Service Desk Manager, Amy Narducci at firstname.lastname@example.org. After review of the applications, Amy will contact the qualified applicants to schedule interviews. Based on the interviews, we will make our decisions.
How much time do I need to commit to working at the IT Service Desk if I'm hired?
IT Service Desk Assistants are required to work at least 8 hours per week (Monday-Friday). All employees should be willing to cover other students' shifts as necessary. You may be asked, on occasion, to work additional shifts during campus events such as Reunion Weekend, Freshman Orientation, etc. New employees are not eligible to work evening shifts until successful completion of one semester of employment. Please refer to the hours of operation for available shifts.
Is there anything else I need to know about working at the IT Service Desk?
All jobs at the IT Service Desk are only available to full time Connecticut College undergraduate students. If you are an incoming freshman and will definitely be attending Connecticut College in the fall, you are considered a full time student and are eligible to apply to the IT Service Desk for the spring semester. These positions fill up fast, so we recommend you submit your application as soon as possible. Interviews for these positions begin as early as November.