Authorized users with Administrator Access MUST abide by the following requirements:
- Respect the privacy of others.
- Comply with college computing policies, state and federal laws.
- Use administrative login(s) only when necessary and not for everyday use.
- Follow software/hardware installation best practices including: insure licensing requirements are satisfied before installing software; maintain purchase records if buying software on your own; keep software and operating system versions consistent with the college’s standard configuration.
- Never assign an unauthorized user Administrator Access unless discussed with the Computer Support Services Manager.
- Ensure that software, anti-virus and operating system updates are always current.
Authorized users with Administrator Access must be able to perform the following tasks:
- Find the name and IP Address of the workstation.
- Set up printers and diagnose general printer problems
- Diagnose network problems, i.e. identify a dead Ethernet port by swapping cables.
- Assist general users with connecting to a nearby Uniflow printer or sending an email with attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org as a workaround when the department or desktop printer is unavailable.
- Verify that all Windows Updates have been applied to a workstation by using Windows Update.
- Check workstation backups to ensure that the data is being backed up and ensure general users are frequently backing up their data.
- Create desktop shortcuts for general users.
- Confirm that spyware / toolbars exist on a workstation (hints: popup ads all the time, extra toolbars in IE, default homepage changed).
- Understand how to navigate through files and directories on a workstation using Windows Explorer.
- Report system problems (checking system status page, submitting a computer issue or service request via Web Help Desk at http://webhelpdesk.conncoll.edu, etc.).
If you need assistance with any of the above requirements or tasks, please contact the IT Service Desk at x4357.