Doing Business with the College
Located in New London, Connecticut, Connecticut College is a private, liberal arts college committed to educating students to put the liberal arts into action as citizens in a global society.
Suppliers interested in working with the College are strongly encouraged to send company literature to the Director of Purchasing. All sales calls must be by appointment only. Unscheduled sales calls cannot be accommodated and soliciting is not permitted.
See contact information at right. Office hours during the academic year are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Monday through Friday). Summer office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Monday through Thursday).
There are two preferred methods of doing business with Connecticut College. Suppliers can enter into a formal contractual relationship with the College or receive a Purchase Order, if needed for invoicing. Verbal orders do not constitute a binding obligation. Please be advised: Suppliers who accept verbal orders do so at their own risk. The Terms & Conditions contained within the Connecticut College Purchase Order will govern all transactions. When a formal contract exists, it will take precedence over the Purchase Order. Suppliers are well advised to be familiar with Connecticut College's standard terms and conditions before entering into any business transactions.
Bid Award Criteria
Please be advised that Connecticut College awards contracts based upon a combination of the "total cost to the college" and the "total value received." Connecticut College does not simply request proposals and make awards to the lowest bidder. There are a number of factors that we consider including:
- Quality of Product or Service
- Product / Service Pricing
- Ability of the Bidder to Meet Deadlines
- Reliability of the Bidder
- Product Warranties / Service Guarantees
- Bidder's Expertise and Product Knowledge
- Financial Status of the Bidder
Standard Payment and Delivery Terms
Payment terms for all vendors are net 30 days. Any exceptions must be approved in advance by the Controller. Connecticut College is a tax exempt institution. Tax exempt form available by request.
Delivery and shipping costs are to be pre-paid and included in written quotes. Delivery standard is to FOB Connecticut College.
Sustainability Purchasing Guides
Connecticut College will strive to balance the environmental and social responsibility embodied by any given product with performance, availability and cost in making sustainable purchasing decisions. We will strive to purchase more environmentally benign and socially responsible goods and services as long as they meet acceptable use and performance needs and are available within a reasonable period of time at a reasonable cost.
Connecticut College considers the following attributes as positive indicators that a specific product or service is environmentally benign. This list is not all encompassing and the College reserves the right to consider other attributes as presented by vendors.
- Made from pre- or post-consumer recycled materials (post-consumer recycled materials are more ideal)
- Made with biodegradable or compostable materials
- Made with plant-based materials (i.e. plant-based inks)
- Items delivered or services provided ways that reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Items that are designed to be refilled or reused by purchaser
- Production of products avoids use of known toxins or chemicals
Connecticut College considers the following attributes as positive indicators that a specific product or service is socially responsible. This list is not all-encompassing and the College reserves the right to consider other attributes as presented by vendors.
- Products or services are manufactured or provided by employees that are paid fair wages, allowing them to provide necessities for themselves and their families
- Products were manufactured in safe working environments where employees have access to all necessary safety equipment and are allow frequent breaks, depending on their schedule and tasks
- All persons exposed to known toxins and/or chemicals are warned of the risks and educated about how to protect themselves
- Products or services are manufactured or provided regionally, which the College defines as coming from the New England states, include New York and Pennsylvania
Scott Slaboden, Director of Purchasing
270 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320-4196