'The perfect person'
The day after her selection was announced, President-elect Katherine Bergeron greeted the campus community at an informal reception in Charles E. Shain Library.
Meet President-elect Katherine Bergeron at a special event on campus Sept. 19 at 2 p.m in Palmer Auditorium (reception to follow). Live stream will be available.
Here's how the news media and social media reacted to the election, earlier this week, of Katherine Bergeron, Brown University chief academic officer for undergraduate education, to become the next president of Connecticut College. She’s scheduled to start Jan. 1, 2014, succeeding the retiring Lee I. Higdon, Jr.
“I think Katherine will be the perfect person.”
- Senior Timothy Kast from Medway, Mass., one of two students who served on the search committee, speaking to The Day newspaper of New London.
“In naming Katherine Bergeron as its 11th president, Connecticut College selected a woman with an impressive academic background, a clear commitment to liberal arts education, and a local girl to boot. Not bad.”
- Editorial in The (New London) Day
“I commend the Connecticut College trustees for their wise selection. Katherine’s depth and breadth of experience have prepared her well for the challenges of the college presidency. She is committed to excellence in education and research, has sound judgment and offers a collaborative approach to leadership that is highly effective.”
- Brown University President Emerita Ruth J. Simmons.
“If New London needs a hero, Dean Bergeron’s cape will be more than up to the job.”
- Brown Daily Herald Blog (under the headline “KBerge leaving for Conn College, student body distraught”)
“She has proven leadership and the ability to solve complex problems within a system based on collaboration and shared governance. We were impressed with her ability not only to develop good ideas, but also to cultivate creativity in others and work with them to put their ideas into action.”
- Chemistry Professor Stanton Ching, a member of the presidential search committee
“Very excited for a new era!”
- Anne Mickle ’89 (Facebook)
“I am so proud of my alma mater... a long, rich history of selecting outstanding people to build upon its history and help it grow.”
- Pamela Hamilton ’77 (Facebook)
“Great move for ConnCollege, naming a music scholar as its next president!”
- @anna_kijas (Twitter)