Comments from the Community
When Connecticut College announced the selection of Katherine Bergeron as our next president, her colleagues and members of the campus community responded with enthusiasm. Here are representative quotes found in the College's announcements, news media and social media. We also invite you to share your well-wishes at the bottom of the page.
“I think Katherine will be the perfect person.”
- Senior Timothy Kast from Medway, Mass., one of two students who served on the search committee, speaking to The Day newspaper of New London.
“I commend the Connecticut College trustees for their wise selection. Katherine’s depth and breadth of experience have prepared her well for the challenges of the college presidency. She is committed to excellence in education and research, has sound judgment and offers a collaborative approach to leadership that is highly effective.”
- Brown University President Emerita Ruth J. Simmons, speaking to Providence Business News.
“I am so proud of my alma mater... a long, rich history of selecting outstanding people to build upon its history and help it grow.”
- Pamela Hamilton ’77 (Facebook)
“Connecticut College has made an inspired choice for its next president. Katherine is an accomplished scholar and a skilled and insightful administrator. She has an exceptional capacity to build consensus and drive meaningful change. Although she will be greatly missed, her significant contributions to Brown will endure for many years to come.”
- Brown University President Christina H. Paxson
“Very excited for a new era!”
- Anne Mickle ’89 (Facebook)
“In naming Katherine Bergeron as its 11th president, Connecticut College selected a woman with an impressive academic background, a clear commitment to liberal arts education, and a local girl to boot. Not bad.”
- Editorial in The (New London) Day
“She has proven leadership and the ability to solve complex problems within a system based on collaboration and shared governance. We were impressed with her ability not only to develop good ideas, but also to cultivate creativity in others and work with them to put their ideas into action.”
- Chemistry Professor Stanton Ching, a member of the presidential search committee
“Her background is a little different than what the college is used to. I love the fact she has a music background. She'll bring a very creative and artistic point of view to the presidency.”
- History major Erica Lovett, a student member of the search committee, quoted in the Hartford Courant
“Great move for Conn College, naming a music scholar as its next president!”
- @anna_kijas (Twitter)