Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I move in, and what are the dates of Orientation?

Orientation begins Friday, Aug. 22. Here is more information about Orientation. Here is information about local accommmodations should your family members need lodging.

Q: How is housing determined for transfers?

We'll use your answers on the online Student Housing Form to match you up with a roommate. We’ll send you, by email, your College email address and password. Please activate it right away; you’ll need it to complete the online housing form by June 13 and to access your College invoice/statement. If you don’t get your College email address, contact the IT Service Desk at or 860-439-4357.

Q: What is life on campus like and what student organizations can I join?

You'll find a diverse array of organizations, clubs, teams, performance groups and activities at Connecticut College, all of which are happy to welcome new members. We encourage transfer students to check out our student activities and organizations page and get involved!

Q: Are there any opportunities on campus that transfers should take advantage of right away?

We strongly encourage all transfer students to dive right into life at Connecticut College by joining extracurricular clubs, organizations and teams.

Many transfers find the guidance they receive from our career office, Career Enhancing Life Skills, to be extremely helpful. During transfer orientation you will  meet a CELS adviser and learn about the steps needed to take towards your funded internship in the summer after your junior year. 

We also encourage transfer students to check out the opportunities offered by the centers, the College's certificate programs, in international studies, arts and technology, public policy and environmental studie. If you are transferring as a second-semester first-year student or a first-semester sophomore, you may still be eligible to apply for affiliation with one of these centers. There is also a fifth center dedicated to the comparative study of race and ethnicity which offers affiliation but no certificate. Last but not least, the museum studies program, though not a center of study, offers a certificate.

Q: What are the dining halls and meal plan like?

Students residing on campus are automatically enrolled in a meal plan that allows them use their Connecticut College Camel Card I.D. card to eat in the dining halls as many times as they want in a single day. Harris Refectory, the College's largest dining hall, is located in north campus and is attached to a group of six residence halls known as the "Plex." Smaller, more homey dining halls are located in Smith House, Knowlton House (lunch-only foreign language tables), Addams House and Freeman House. All dining halls are buffet-style and offer a wide range of selections including vegan and vegetarian options. For more specific information on the hours and menus of our dining locations, please visit our Dining Services page.

Q: What types of advising are available for transfers?

Connecticut College's close-knit campus community ensures that all students, including transfer students, have access to the advising and mentoring they need to make the most out of their Connecticut College experience. Academic advising is available from your dean, pre-major advisers and major adviser. Your faculty adviser will come from the department in which we think you are most likely to major. This adviser will be your primary source of academic advice until you formally declare a major, at which time you may select a new major adviser, even if you are remaining in the same department. Learn more about academic advising.

A specially selected and trained upper-level student will also be assigned to you. He or she will be available to answer questions during your first few weeks and throughout the year.

Many students find mentors and support in other places such as Student Counseling Services, Unity House and the LGBTQ Resource Center, just to name a few. Counselors in the Office of Career Enhancing Life Skills (CELS) will help you prepare for funded internships and life after college.

Q: I'm a transfer student. May I study abroad?

If you transfer into the College as a sophomore, you are eligible to study abroad. Your options are fewer as a junior, but you can still apply to participate in a Study Away Teach Away (SATA) program taught by Connecticut College professors. 

All transfer students, regardless of class year, are eligible for the funded internship program and many students use those funds to support internships abroad, and the global focus at Connecticut College provides many other international and cultural opportunities that prospective transfer students should consider.

Contact Information



Email Joyce Luce

Assistant to the Associate Dean of Studies
for Juniors and Seniors
206 Fanning Hall, 2nd floor
270 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320-4196