Students electing a film studies major will draw upon the interdisciplinary variety that characterizes the study of moving images - combining theory, criticism, history, and practice in developing the ability to think in filmic terms, and gain an understanding of how film functions as both an art and a social force. For a full list of courses, please consult the course catalog.
Here, a sampling of film studies courses:
- Introduction to Film Study: How to Read a Film
- Film Noir Past and Present
- Race and Ethnicity in American Film
- Fundamentals of Motion Picture Production
- Documentary Theory and Production
- Studies in Authorship: Women Directors
- Advanced Production Workshop
Different departments at Connecticut College regularly add new courses that fall under the different categories of requirements for the film studies program, sometimes on a one-time basis. Students should consult with the film studies faculty to determine whether a particular course offering in another department may count for the film studies major or minor.
Film Studies Program
270 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320-4196