Q: Who can be certified at Connecticut College?

Currently enrollment in the certification program is limited to undergraduate students at Connecticut College, graduates of Connecticut College or employees or immediate family of Connecticut College employees.

Q: What do I have to do to apply?

Requirements to apply to the Connecticut College Education program:

  • Take and satisfactorily complete EDU 223: both course and field experience
  • Be waived from or pass PRAXIS I: (Essential Skills test based on ACT or SAT scores)
  • Get 1 Letter of Recommendation from a faculty member in your major who can speak to your content knowledge and academic disposition.
  • Respond to a 500-word essay prompt with the following guidelines:
    (1) Double spaced
    (2) Times or Times New Roman 12 pt. type
    (3) One-inch margins

ESSAY PROMPT: As a teacher, what will you be educating for? How does your response to this question reflect your positionality and social location?

Q: If I want to be certified to teach, do I major in education?

No, no one majors in education. For secondary certification, you would major in the area you want to teach in, for instance Math. For the elementary certification you can actually major in any area. While many of our elementary certification students major in Human Development, there have been several who have majored in various other areas.

Q: Can I take classes at another institution during breaks or the summer and have them count towards certification in the State of CT?

It depends. As a rule, all EDU courses need to be taken at Connecticut College. But any of the general requirements and some Human Development courses may be taken at other State of Connecticut-approved institutions with prior approval from the Certification Officer in the Education Department at Connecticut College.

Q: Do AP or IB credits count towards general certification requirements?

Generally AP and IB credits that appear on your Connecticut College transcript will meet the State requirements in those specific areas.

Q: Can I do a semester overseas and still be certified?

With careful planning with the Certification Officer, many of the students who go on to become certified also are able do a semester in another country and graduate within four years. Careful planning might also enable you to take some general educational requirements at another institution.

Q: Will I get a teaching job?

In the overwhelming number of cases the answer to this question is yes. The Connecticut College Education department along with CELS, Career Enhancing Life Skills, places nearly 100% of their students who want to pursue teaching after they graduate.

Q: If I'm certified in Connecticut can I teach in another state?

In the overwhelming number of cases the answer to this question is "yes." Connecticut has reciprocity in certification with 39 other states and is therefore one of the most desirable states to be certified in.

Q: What kind of salary will I make as a teacher?

Salaries in Connecticut rank at or near the top of teacher pay in the nation. In the year 2005-2006, Connecticut ranked 9th in the nation for the average beginning teacher salary at $34,462. That same year, Connecticut ranked 1st in the nation in overall average teacher salary at $58,688 (NEA). Most Connecticut teachers with experience now earn well into the $70,000 to $80,000 range.