Getting into the U.S. and New London, Connecticut

From the airport to New London you will find that it is most convenient to get to the College if you land at Newark International, New Jersey, or Logan International, Boston, Massachusetts.

Newark International Airport (EWR)

From the Newark International there is an Amtrak train that will take you directly to New London.

Logan International Airport (BOS)

From Boston's Logan International Airport there is a bus that connects with the train in South Station. The bus from the airport to South Station is called "Silver Line." Once you are at the train station, you can take an Amtrak train with or without reservations to New London (one-way ticket $30-42).

John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK)

If you cannot find a flight to Newark or Boston, then you can fly into Kennedy Airport in New York (JFK). JFK Airport serves most airlines, which means that it is often very busy.

Option 1: If you arrive at JFK, you can take the shuttle to the Howard Beach subway station. Then you can take the A-train to Port Authority or to Penn Station depending on whether you want to use the bus or the train (single-ride subway ticket costs $3).

Option 2: You can take a taxicab from the west terminal of JFK to Penn Station or Port Authority where you can take the Greyhound bus (between $26 and $43 for a one-way ticket) to New London.

Option 3: You can also take a taxicab from the west terminal of JFK to Penn Station. From Penn Station you can board an Amtrak train (between $39 and $83 for a one-way ticket) to New London.

Option 4: Arrange with Connecticut Limousine Service to bring you to New Haven, Conn., where you can make connections with Amtrak for a train to New London. For more information check or call 1-800-472-5466 or 1(203) 878-2222.

Flying Camel Airport Shuttle

Connecticut College offers students an airport shuttle service at discounted fares for shuttle transportation between campus, John F. Kennedy International Airport (in New York, N.Y.), T.F. Green Airport (in Warwick, R.I.) for August student arrival, Thanksgiving, winter, spring and summer breaks. More information can be found on the Transportation page.

From the City of New London to the College

Once you arrive at the New London Greyhound/Amtrak (train) Union Station, take a taxicab to the College ($10 from the train station plus 10-15% tip). There are usually cabs waiting outside the station. The following companies serve New London/Groton area: Harry’s Taxi 860-444-2255, Port City Taxi 860-444-9222, Yellow Cab Co. 860-443-4321.

International Travel (Spring Break/Winter Break/Summer vacations)

If you will be traveling out of the U.S. on holiday and you are here in the States on an F-1 visa, make sure you have a valid re-entry signature on page 2 of I-20. The signature is valid for 12 months. If your signature is more than 12 months old, please go to the office of the International Student Adviser to get a new one.

Air travel within the U.S.

You need to have a government-issued ID when you fly within the U.S. This means an U.S. driver's license if you have one, your passport, a state issued ID but NOT a student ID. You can get tickets by contacting the airlines directly on the phone or on the Web, by looking at websites that find cheap tickets (like or, or by using a travel agent. Connecticut College students often fly out of and into Providence, Rhode Island (PVD), or Hartford, Connecticut. (BDL)

Connecticut Limousine ( will pick you at La Guardia, JFK, Newark or Bradley Airport and take you to New Haven, Conn. Prices are approximate: La Guardia/JFK: $40 one way; Newark: $45 one way, Bradley: $26 one way. Call 1-800-472-LIMO (1-800-472-5466) at least ten days in advance. From New Haven's Union Station, you can take Amtrak to New London.

Buses and Trains: New York and Boston Greyhound ( Check the website or call 1-800-231-2222 or the New London bus station at (1-860)-447-3841. Amtrak Check the website or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1- 800-872-7245) or the New London train station at (1-860)-444-4929.

The Student Advantage Card costs $20 per year and gives you 15% off on Greyhound and Amtrak fares. It can be obtained through Greyhound (online) or Amtrak (at the station). ISIC: Greyhound gives 10% off to International Student Identity Card holders. This card is probably available in your home country's student bureaus for a $5 fee, and provides discounts all over the world. Ask your travel agent or go to

Travel and explore the Northeast U.S.

New London is served by Amtrak, with convenient rail service to and from New York; Boston; Providence; Washington, D.C. and beyond. New London's Union Station at 27 Water Street is just a 10-minute taxi or bus ride (approx. $7-$10) from the College. Taxis are available in front of the station. (See "Taxis" section on this page.)

Visit the Amtrak website for travel specials, reservations, schedules and station hours, or call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

If you plan to travel farther, Providence and Hartford have big airports with frequent domestic flights to all over the States.

Don't always assume the train will be the cheaper option. In some cases planes might as well be much cheaper on some routes (a flight from Providence to Baltimore, Maryland, costs half as much as a train ticket).

Travel in the New London area

See the "Transportation" section for local transportation solutions.

Taxi service:  Harry’s Taxi 860-444-2255; Port City Taxi 860-444-9222; Yellow Cab Co. 860-443-4321

To get a driver's license, call Connecticut DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) at 1-800-842-8222.

Camel Van, a shuttle service, provides students and other members of the Connecticut College community with transportation to retail and entertainment venues in the greater New London area as well as to the transportation center downtown. The van operates Thursday through Sunday.