Painting of Mary S. Harkness



The portrait of Mary Harkness that hangs in the gallery at the rear of the chapel was painted by British artist Frank O. Salisbury. It hung for many years over the mantel in the dining room at Mary Harkness House, a nearby residence hall that Mrs. Harkness gave Connecticut College in 1934.

Salisbury (1874-1962) also painted a companion portrait of Mrs. Harkness' husband, Edward S. Harkness. Both are believed to have been commissioned in the early 1930s. The portrait of Mary Harkness is a copy of a painting at the Harkness mansion in Manhattan.

Contact Information:

Phone:
860-439-2450

Fax:
860-439-2463

Email Laurie McGrath, lamcg@conncoll.edu

Office of Religious and Spiritual Life
Harkness Chapel
Box 5203
New London, CT 06320-4196
orsl.conncoll.edu