The Architect



James Gamble Rogers (1867-1947) is best known for the classic "collegiate Gothic" buildings he designed for such universities as Yale, Northwestern and Columbia during the 1920s and '30s.

Many of Rogers' commissions were financed by philanthropist Edward S. Harkness, a close friend. The two met when Rogers was hired to design a Manhattan townhouse for Harkness and his wife, Mary Stillman, soon after their marriage in 1904. The Italian Renaissance mansion at 1 East 75th St. is now the headquarters of the Commonwealth Fund, a philanthropic entity created by the Harkness family in 1918.

Born in Kentucky, Rogers was a Yale graduate - as was Harkness. Like the Harknesses, he had a summer home in southeastern Connecticut. Rogers developed a summer colony at Black Point in Niantic with several friends and designed many of the homes there.

Rogers was known for his ability to design institutional buildings that artfully blended historic sensibilities with modern practicality. During his lifetime, Rogers' work was at times dismissed as uninspired because of its traditional style. But today he is more widely appreciated for his attention to detail, sensitivity and masterful planning. Throughout Rogers' distinguished career he often collaborated with others who worked on the Connecticut College chapel, especially stained glass artist G. Owen Bonawit.

Contact Information:

Phone:
860-439-2450

Fax:
860-439-2463

Email Laurie McGrath, lamcg@conncoll.edu

Office of Religious and Spiritual Life
Harkness Chapel
Box 5203
New London, CT 06320-4196
orsl.conncoll.edu