Apr. 23, 2020
New Guidelines for Wearing Facemasks on Campus
Dear Faculty and Staff,
I am writing to provide an update on new state requirements issued by Gov. Ned Lamont regarding the use of facemasks or cloth face coverings to help slow the spread of COVID-19. As of Monday evening, any person in a public space who cannot maintain social distancing is urged to use facemasks for added protection. To ensure compliance with this statewide order and to preserve the health and safety of our campus community, we are issuing the following new guidelines for those on the Connecticut College campus:
- All faculty and staff working on campus are required to wear a facemask or other cloth material covering the mouth and nose. Masks should be worn at all times with the exception of when an employee is working alone in an enclosed office or during breaks for eating or drinking while social distancing is maintained. Additionally, those working outdoors in open spaces are not required to wear a mask or face covering if they are able to stay within six feet of others.
- Masks should be worn at all times by faculty and staff when they are in areas working with others, when they are traveling to and from a private, enclosed office, when they are moving around common areas or otherwise away from their work space.
- The College will provide masks or cloth face coverings for critical staff who are required to work on campus. All non-critical employees who come to campus with prior authorization are required to bring and wear their own face mask.
- For those for whom wearing a mask or facial covering is detrimental to their health due to a personal medical issue, please submit the COVID-19 Request for Accommodation form to the Human Resources Office. HR will review the request and notify you if it is granted.
- The CDC offers a tutorial about how to create a cloth face covering should you wish to make your own.
As a reminder, if you are a critical staff member at the College and do not feel well, please stay home. If people in your house don’t feel well, please stay home.
Any Conn employee who is not a critical staff member and needs to come to campus must secure authorization in advance and be prepared to present Connecticut College identification (Camel Card) at the main entrance to the College. Please note that we have changed the procedure for visit requests from a dedicated email address to a new request form. You should be prepared to provide (1) the date and approximate time you plan to come to campus and (2) what building(s) you will need to access. Face masks must be worn during all pre-approved campus visits.
Thank you for your ongoing help and support as we navigate constantly changing guidelines and keep our community healthy and safe.
Vice President for Finance and Administration