Staff COVID-19 Policy Update
Dear Staff and Faculty Colleagues,
In an effort to provide staff with continued support when the pandemic impacts their ability to work, the COVID-19 Leave and Remote Work policies have been updated. The full policies can be found in the Employee Handbook in Camel Web and the changes are summarized below.
Effective Aug. 30, 2021, COVID-19 Leave bank balances for benefits-eligible service hourly staff (staff in the arboretum/grounds, campus safety, catering, dining services, and facilities management) will be set to two weeks (equivalent to the hours each employee is regularly scheduled to work per biweekly pay period), and bank balances for administrative staff will be set to one-week (equivalent to the hours each employee is regularly scheduled to work per week). The bank balances are different because administrative staff may apply for short-term COVID-19 remote work arrangements as described in the Remote Work section below.
COVID-19 leave may be used when a staff member cannot fulfill their job responsibilities during scheduled hours because:
- they are isolating following their COVID-19 diagnosis (COVID-19 diagnosis must be reported to the Director of Environmental Health and Safety by calling 860-439-2252);
- they are getting the COVID-19 vaccine during their scheduled work time;
- they experience post-vaccine side-effects that affect their ability to perform daily activity;
- they have to care for a member of their immediate family who is ill with COVID-19;
- they are required to self-quarantine according to the College’s COVID-19 protocols (contact quarantine and travel quarantine must be registered with the Director of Environmental Health and Safety by calling 860-439-2252);
- COVID-19 has disrupted their scheduled care for their young dependent child or older dependent (i.e. temporary daycare closure, no in person schooling available, caring for an unvaccinated young child or older dependent who is required to quarantine).
If a staff member can successfully fulfill their job responsibility remotely while being impacted by one of the above COVID-19 reasons, they should submit a short-term COVID-19 remote work request, if eligible as outlined in the revised Remote Work policy.
COVID-19 Leave will be available through Dec. 31, 2021 at which time the College will reassess the need to continue this benefit.
The Remote Work policy has been expanded to provide up to two weeks (equivalent to the number of days the staff member is scheduled to work during a biweekly pay period) of remote work during the fall 2021 semester to staff who can satisfactorily fulfill their work responsibilities remotely, but cannot work in-person because:
- they are isolating following their COVID-19 diagnosis;
- they have to care for a member of their immediate family who is ill with COVID-19, have to self-quarantine due to COVID-19;
- COVID-19 has disrupted their scheduled care for a young dependent child (a dependent child age 13 or younger) or older dependent (a dependent spouse, child, or parent who is not physically or mentally able to care for themselves).
Staff can request a short-term COVID-19 remote work arrangement by submitting a completed COVID-19 Short-term Remote Work Request form to their department head.
If you have questions about these policy changes, please contact the Human Resources staff at email@example.com or 860-439-2085. We thank you for all you continue to do to enable Conn to provide our students with a residential experience and to maintain safe living and working conditions for our community.
Vice President for Human Resources and Organizational Development