The Connecticut College libraries are principally for use by current students, faculty, staff and other Connecticut College community members. Due to the COVID-19 crisis, we regret that only current students, staff and faculty who are cleared to be on campus may enter the premises, until further notice. Failure to comply with campus and/or library policies or inappropriate behavior may result in the loss of library privileges.
Shain Library Circulation Policies:
|Students||28 Days||3 Days||Library Use Only||Library Use Only||None|
|Faculty/Staff||Academic Year||8 Days||Library Use Only||Library Use Only||None|
|Visitors/Non-College||28 Days||7 Days||Library Use Only||Library Use Only||10 Items Total|
We regret that we cannot allow visitors into Shain Library until further notice; as such, the policies and loan periods listed below are suspended. During other times, visitors may register as guest borrowers for an annual fee of $50.00 ($25.00 for New London residents). Guest borrowers are encouraged to renew their accounts with circulation staff before the expiration date to avoid shortened due dates in the final month.
Recalls and Renewals
Patrons must return books by the date indicated on their account, accessible by logging into OneSearch, and must promptly respond to any recall notice in the event that another patron needs an item you have checked out. If a recalled item has not been returned within 7 days of the recall notice, a fine of $7.00 per day is charged. Patrons can renew loans online by logging in to OneSearch. Please note that the number of renewals is limited to two (2).
If an item is more than 28 days overdue, the item is considered lost. Patrons are charged a replacement fee of $50.00 and a $35.00 processing fee for each lost item. (Information of replacement charges for music materials is available from the Music Library staff.)
Until further notice, access to software, printing, computer cluster and classrooms — along with access to the library — is limited to current students, staff and faculty who are cleared to be on campus.
CTW and Interlibrary Loan
Materials from Trinity College and Wesleyan University and Interlibrary Loan services are available to current Connecticut College students, faculty and staff only. Library users unaffiliated with the College should make interlibrary loan requests through their local public library.
Please note that for the 2020-21 academic year, physical course reserves will not be offered. Faculty should visit this page to learn more about using electronic reserve materials. In other times, Shain Library will place on reserve library books, dvds, and other forms of multimedia available in Shain or Greer libraries, or through the CTW Consortium. Other materials commonly included in electronic reserves, such as (but not limited to) scanned articles and book chapters, are available to students through the College’s Moodle course management system. Personal or departmental copies of textbooks may be placed on reserve; the library does not purchase textbooks for reserve. For additional information please see Course Reserves Policy & Procedures.
Fines on reserve items are as follows:
Please direct any questions regarding Shain Library’s reserve policy to Bridget Pupilo at 860-439-2663.
Posting for Events and Other Matters
- Posts for events, etc., can only be placed on the bulletin board next to the front door, or on the smaller bulletin board in the Blue Camel Café.
- If there is an event that is being held in Shain that you wish to advertise, the library can arrange for an easel to promote this event.
- Banners may not be hung within the library, nor does the library allow posting on the exterior glass of the library or its doors.
- We ask that patrons be respectful of others, and to honor requests from other users to be quiet. Please note that the first floor is traditionally not a quiet space.
- Students who wish to move whiteboards around the building to work with classmates are free to do so. We simply ask that they be respectful if the board is in use and/or has other students’ work.
- Whiteboards should mainly be used for academic collaboration; as such, we ask that patrons refrain from using them to advertise events.
- Whiteboards may be used with Post-Its in order to create informal polls. If you’re interested in doing this, please prearrange with Emily Aylward (email@example.com) or in her absence, Lorraine Gruber (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Because Study tables in collaboration rooms and on library floors are placed near outlets and network connections, these tables cannot not be moved.
- We ask that patrons do not remove furniture from the Living Room.
- During the 2020-21 academic, we regret that the library cannot host in-person events.
- Only currently registered students may book collaboration rooms. To book a room, visit this page.
- We regret that with the exception of service or therapy animals, dogs are not allowed in Shain Library.