Skip to main content

NCAA D. III Lacrosse Championship-Second Round RIT 11, Connecticut College 9

Eric Doran ´11
Eric Doran ´11
NEW LONDON, Conn.--Chris Cherami (Olwick, N.J.) scored with 1:07 remaining to snap a 9-9 tie, and the RIT Tigers (14-5) were able to hold on for an 11-9 victory against Connecticut College (14-3) in a second round match-up of the 2010 NCAA Division Lacrosse Championship played in front of 752 fans on the Artificial Turf at Silfen Field Saturday. The Tigers will carry a seven game winning streak into their third round game against SUNY-Cortland this Wednesday. Connecticut College closes out a memorable season with a program record 14 wins after finishing with just six victories in 2009. Connecticut College Men´s Lacrosse Coach Dave Cornell, who has been honored as the New England Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (NEILA) Coach of the Year, appreciated the support of the College that rallied behind the Camels Saturday and all season long. "It was an awesome atmosphere for us today, to host an NCAA game with a big crowd like this," Cornell said. "Our guys have worked so hard to get to this point. I´m so proud of our senior class and what they accomplished." Iric Bressler (Stafford, Va.) scored two goals with three assists for RIT. Junior attackman Kelso Davis (Freeport, Maine) chipped in with two goals and two assists for the winning side. Jordan MacIntosh (Oakville, Ontario) added two goals and one assist. Senior midfielder Jerry Ragonese (Berkeley Heights, N.J.) won 16-of-24 face offs to go with 10 ground balls for RIT. Connecticut College junior Eric Doran (Pennington, N.J.) scored three goals to lead the hosts. Junior Ryan Hayes (Darien, Conn.) tallied two scores and Mike Giambanco (Massapequa, N.Y.) dished out two assists. Senior midfielder Sean Driscoll (Peabody, Mass.) corralled a team-high six ground balls for the Camels. With 1:43 remaining in the opening quarter, Doran collected a ground ball at midfield and buried a runner to put the Camels on top 3-2. But the Tigers closed out the quarter with two quick scoring strikes in a 10 second span to take the lead. Davis buried a turnaround shot on a feed from Davis with 10 seconds left. On the ensuing faceoff, Bressler collected the ground ball and pushed the ball up field to Sean Gillies (Oakville, Ontario) for a goal with four seconds remaining and the Tigers were on top 4-3 after one. In the second quarter, the Camels evened things up at four when Doran worked his way free on a wrap around move for a goal with 7:43 remaining. With 6:06 to play in the half, the Camels cashed in on an extra man opportunity when Giambanco assisted Hayes for his 21st goal of the season. The Tigers scored the final goal of the half with six seconds left when Davis connected with MacIntosh for the equalizer and the teams were knotted up in a 5-5 tie at the intermission. RIT scored the first three goals of the third quarter with two of the tallies coming off the stick of Bressler. In the closing moments of the third, the Camels got one back. Hayes pounced on a rebound of a shot at the left post side of the goal and stuffed one home to trim the Tigers´ advantage to 8-6. Mark Mangano (Basking Ridge, N.J.) opened the fourth quarter scoring to pull the Camels to within a goal with12:56 remaining. But David Burke (Fairport, N.Y.) answered for the Tigers with 9:36 to go. The Camels have been a resilient group that has battled back all year long. After they successfully killed off a one minute penalty, Doran completed his hat-trick to pull the Camels to within a goal with 5:47 remaining. Then, with 3:52 to go, John Lyons (Barrington, R.I.) forced the sixth and final tie of the contest at nine as he scored on a feed from Greg Demetriou (Lowell, Mass.). Stephen Eicher (Northport, N.Y.) nearly put the Camels on top with 1:46 remaining in regulation but RIT junior Robert Tonnessen (Ridgefield, Conn.) was able to make the stick save to preserve the tie. The Tigers cleared the ball and were able to isolate Cherami on the right side of the box for the difference making goal with 1:07 remaining. Alex Crepinsek (Mississauga, Ontario) added an insurance goal with 50 seconds left and RIT was able to hold on for the 11-9 victory. Tonnessen finished with six saves for the Tigers. Rob Moccia (Malvern, Pa.) made nine saves and added five ground balls for Connecticut College.

May 15, 2010

Related News & Media

Recent News