Connecticut College 80, Salve Regina University 78 Harrigan Tallies 22 Points & 14 Rebounds in Fourth Straight Win for Camels

Rob Harrigan '13
Rob Harrigan '13
NEW LONDON, Conn.--The Connecticut College men's basketball team earned a 80-78 victory against Salve Regina University in a non-conference game played at Luce Field House Saturday. Sophomore Rob Harrigan (Milford, Conn.) poured in a game-high 22 points and grabbed 14 rebounds to lead the Camels to their fourth straight victory. Harrigan shot 8-for-10 from the field and 5-for-6 from long distance en route to his first collegiate double-double. Boris Jeremic (Rijeka, Croatia) chipped in with 21 points for the Camels. Freshman Matt Vadas (Spring Lake Heights, N.J.) netted 18 points while classmate Taylor Hanson (St. Paul, Minn.) rounded out the double-digit scorers for the winning side with 12 points and seven boards. Connecticut College Head Men's Basketball Coach Tom Satran was pleased to win his fourth straight game and is looking forward to another big road game at the Birthplace of Basketball in Springfield, Mass. Tuesday night. "For about eight minutes in the second half we played really well and that is what allowed us to win the game," Satran said. "In the first half our intensity and attention to the scouting report was a little subpar and we made some bad decisions down the stretch relative to time and score. Boris and Rob really gave us excellent all around games. Taylor made some crucial plays for us around the basket and John (Bullitt) gave us a lift off the bench in the second half." Salve Regina University senior guard Ryan Birrell (Hope, R.I.) tallied 20 points and eight assists in the contest. Windell Hinkson, a graduate of Fitch High School in nearby Groton, Conn., contributed 15 points and six helpers in his return to New London County. Senior Dan Royce (Mahwah, N.J.) provided 13 points and nine points in the front court for the visitors. In the second half, the Seahawks took a 49-46 lead with 13:57 remaining after John Williamson (Littleton, Mass.) stole the ball at mid-court and converted a lay-up. But the Camels responded with a 10-to-0 run to take a 56-49 advantage. Harrigan capped the rally with a field goal at the 9:53 mark. Later on in the half, Jeremic put back an offensive board to put the hosts on top 62-54 with 7:29 remaining. Salve would not go away though and in the closing moments of regulation, Birrell converted a hoop with 16 seconds left that trimmed the deficit to 80-78. The visitors had one last chance to tie the game when they gained possession with 4.2 second remaining but their two shots rolled off the rim and the Camels were able to hold on for the two point victory. The Camels vaulted out to an early 7-2 lead when Vadas stole the ball and connected with Harrigan for a hoop in transition. When Jeremic knocked down a three from the right side with 15:29 remaining, the hosts enjoyed a 12-5 advantage. But the Seahawks battled back with a 9-to-2 run to tie things up at 14 aside after Birrell fed Scott St. Lawrence (Litchfield, N.H.) for a hoop in the paint with 12:10 to go. Later on in the half with 1:04 to go, Hinkson put the visitors on top 36-34 with a hoop. But Vadas knocked down a pair of free throws with 13 seconds to left to force the fifth tie of the half and the two teams headed to the locker room knotted up at 36 apiece. Connecticut College converted 25-of-29 shots from the foul line (86%) in the victory and knocked down 20-of-24 attempts (83%) in the second half. The Camels also held a 43-to-32 rebounding advantage in the triumph.

December 11, 2010

Related News & Media

Recent News