Connecticut College 8, Colby College 7 4OT Corcoran Supplies Game-Winner in Longest Home Game in Program History

Tyler Corcoran '13
Tyler Corcoran '13
NEW LONDON, Conn.--The Connecticut College men's lacrosse team battled back from a 7-5 fourth quarter deficit, outlasting the Colby College Mules 8-7 in four overtimes. It was the longest men's lacrosse game played at the College. Tyler Corcoran (Simsbury, Conn.) scored his second goal of the day with 3:24 remaining in the fourth overtime to seal the victory. JR Hartgers (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) scored three second half goals and Rob Moccia (Malvern, Pa.) made seven of his 10 saves in the final two quarters of regulation to lift the Camels to the win. Connecticut College improves their record to 3-4 with a 2-4 mark in the NESCAC. The Mules slip to 2-3 with a 1-3 record in league play. "I am extremely proud of our team and the way they battled today," Connecticut College Head Men's Lacrosse Coach Dave Cornell said. "They had every reason to give up but they didn't. They persevered. That game was a testament to what the NESCAC is all about. Both teams played with a ton of passion. We beat a very well coached team today. Unfortunately, one team had to lose." Colby College junior Ian Deveau (Portsmouth, R.I.) scored two goals in the setback for the visitors. Junior Greg McKillop (Washington, D.C.) had a goal and two assists. Sophomore net-minder Peter Reiley (Marblehead, Mass.) made 13 saves to go with six ground balls. Colby took a 5-4 lead into the half and carried a 7-5 advantage into the fourth quarter of action when Scott Margolis (New York, N.Y.) assisted DeVeau for his second goal of the contest with 2:52 remaining in the third. But with 8:08 remaining, Hartgers pulled the Camels to within a goal. In the closing moments, Reiley had possession for Colby and was trying to find an outlet to close out the game but Hartgers was able to make a leaping stab of the pass and then rifled home the equalizer with just 24 seconds left. Both teams utilized their time outs in the overtimes to set up their offense. Colby had a great opportunity to win the game in the third extra session. With four seconds left, DeVeau fired a shot from point-blank range but Moccia was able to make the game-saving stop. Chuck Czerkawski (Cohasset, Mass.) won the face-off for the Camels to start the fourth overtime and Michael Keane (Bellmore, N.Y) corralled the ground ball to secure the Camel possession. After a timeout, the Camels were able to isolate Corcoran behind the cage and the sophomore made a nifty little wrap around move to put in the game-winner. Connecticut College out-shot Colby 46-to-33 in the triumph. Colby held a slim 32-to-30 advantage in ground balls. Colby will host the University of New England this Tuesday afternoon for a 4:00 p.m. game in Waterville. The Camels will host New England College Wednesday afternoon for a 4:30 p.m. game in New London.

March 31, 2012

Related News & Media

Recent News