Strengthening our already exemplary career program was a major priority of the strategic plan, which called for situating career advising within Connections and bringing the Hale Center for Career Development to central campus. During the development of the new Campus Master Plan, several locations were discussed to achieve this objective. As the plan came together, it became apparent that the space on the first floor of Fanning formerly occupied by the Toor Cummings Center for International Studies and the Liberal Arts (CISLA) and Study Away would be an ideal home for the career office. Thanks to a generous donation from a trustee, this project will get underway in January 2019.
This project, identified in the Campus Master Plan, will add to Fanning Hall:
- A new home for the Hale Center for Career Development
- New accessible seminar rooms on the first floor
- An accessible all-gender restroom and accessible bathrooms
- A reopened east entrance to the building
- An elevator
Timeline for the project
- September-January: Project planning
- January-March: Departments impacted will be relocated (see below)
- March: Demolition will occur during spring break
- March-August: Construction
- September: Grand opening of the new Hale Center for Career Development
- Registrar’s Office will remain on the first floor during construction
- Accounting Office will move to Nichols House
- Campus Safety will move from Nichols House to the Service (Facilities Management) Building
- Office of the Dean of Institutional Equity and Inclusion will move—temporarily—to Unity House as plans are finalized to expand and bring into closer proximity the cultural centers on campus
- Vinal Cottage: Plans for the current home of the career center will be determined at a later date.
Every effort will be made to minimize disruption and noise, including scheduling as much work as possible during the evenings and spring break, but some projects must be done while classes are in session. Immediately before and during finals, however, all construction work in Fanning will be suspended.
- Dean of the College Jefferson Singer
- Hale Family Director of the Hale Center for Career Development Persephone Hall
- Associate Vice President for Facilities Management and Campus Planning Trina Learned
- Bruce Becker P’22 of Becker+Becker, architect
- Vice President for Finance and Administration Richard Madonna