The newly renovated Steel House is the home of the Office of Sustainability. Manufactured by Chicago-based General Houses Inc., the prefabricated house was erected in 1933 for Winslow Ames, the founding director of New London’s Lyman Allyn Art Museum. The property was used as faculty housing after Connecticut College acquired it in 1949. Before it was renovated in 2013, it was last occupied in 2004.

The Steel House is a hub for sustainability efforts, with space where faculty, students and staff can collaborate on sustainability initiatives and space for student organizations and volunteers.

The Steel House itself – a small, efficient building that was renovated rather than newly built – exemplifies sustainability. Its renovation was made possible with grants from the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD), the Dr. Scholl Foundation, a family foundation and the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, as well as a planned gift to the College.

Steel House wins preservation award

The Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation has taken notice of Connecticut College’s tremendous effort to transform its historic Steel House from a rusty eyesore into a useful building and model of sustainability. Read the April 22, 2014, news release.