Spanish Placement Exam
The Spanish language placement exam is administered to determine the level at which students will begin the General Education foreign language requirement or begin studies toward the majors and minors in Hispanic Studies and Latin American Studies.
Who is required to take the placement exam?
Incoming freshmen must take the online exam prior to freshman orientation. During freshman orientation, Hispanic Studies faculty will be available for optional advising.
Placement test overview
- Avant’s placement test is a Web-based test that provides schools with the data to place students into appropriate classes.
- The placement test can be taken anywhere, anytime.
- Test items are based on real-world, every-day situations
- The placement test measures a test taker’s language ability according to benchmark levels that are based on national standards
- Plan for 35-50 minutes to take the test.
How do I take the placement test?
- You will use this User Name and Password provided by Avant Assessment to log in to the placement test website. All students will use these codes:
User Name: 3468-pl-sp-1
- You must then enter your First Name, space, Middle Name, space, then your Last Name. Your full name is your "unique identifier." Be sure you remember how you entered your name; if you lose the connection or stop the test and need to resume, you will have to re-enter your name exactly as you did the first time
How is my score determined?
You may wish to see see how the raters are scoring your writing and speaking responses.
Chair: Luis Gonzalez, Associate Professor
Assistant: Nancy Lewandowski
Department of Hispanic Studies
270 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320-4196