The Friends of the Library sponsors several events throughout the year. These include faculty book talks, in which Connecticut College faculty are invited to discuss their recent research to a general audience, art exhibition openings and lectures, and the annual Sound Lab lecture, which seeks to bring national speakers to New London to speak on a scientific, cultural, or social topic.
In the past year, these events have included the following
- a workshop by a local artist for students on the process of creating “zines”
- the 21st annual Sound Lab Foundation Lecture by entrepreneur Suzie Flores.
- an exhibition, art class, and presentation by the printmaker Bob Nugent.
- Two separate scholarship awards: to a current student for library research and to an alumna pursuing a graduate degree in library science.
- the purchase of a collection of 19th century American letters about the European Grand Tour, a collection of magazines from the 1930s featuring the artwork of Rockwell Kent, and a rare collection of woodcuts by the important 20th century Chinese artist Huang Hsin-po.