Q: What is the faculty-student ratio?

A: The student-faculty ratio is 9:1 and we have 179 full-time professors, 92% hold the highest degree in their field.

Q: How big are the classes?

A: Average class size is 19.

Q: What is the retention rate?

A: Ninety-two percent of students return for their sophomore year.

Q: How many students attend Connecticut College?

A: Enrollment is approximately 1,900 students from 45 states, Washington, D.C., and 72 countries; 17% domestic students of color; 11.2% students with an international background. Forty percent of students are men and 60% are women.

Q: Are professors accessible?

A: Professors are very accessible in person, by telephone, and via email. In addition to scheduling appointments to meet with students, most professors also have open office hours when students are able to drop in and chat informally. Students have also had opportunities to get to know their professors over meals at the dining hall or at professors' homes, collaborating on research, planning study abroad trips, or competing at the annual Camelympics. Please visit the Meet the Faculty section of this website to become familiar with our faculty.

Q: Will I have my own adviser?

A: Yes! Until your major is chosen (typically through your sophomore year), you will be counseled by a faculty member who will serve as your pre-major adviser, irrespective of his or her academic department. After choosing a major, you will be counseled by a faculty member in your academic department. Learn more about academic advising.

Q: Can I double major?

A: Of course you can double major. This is an option quite a few students choose to pursue. Students are required to major in at least one area. However, most choose either to have a major and a minor or they choose to double major. See "Determining a Major."

Q: How many classes may I take per semester?

A: The typical course load is 4 or 5 classes. If a student wants to enroll in more than 5 classes, he or she must consult with the faculty adviser and academic dean. Learn more about coursework.

Q: Are there services for students with disabilities?

A: We do offer accommodations and services for students with disabilities. The best way to find out if Connecticut College can accommodate your specific needs is to review the Office of Student Accessibility Services website and contact that office as needed.

Q: Do I need to take a foreign language?

A: All students take either two semesters of an elementary level language or one semester in a foreign language at the intermediate level or higher. It is also possible to place out of the requirement with satisfactory scores on the College's placement exam during orientation, SAT Subject Tests, and AP/IB exams. Students wishing to exercise this option must talk with the chair of the language department for which they have taken an exam.

Q: Where can I study abroad?

A:Well, where would you like to study abroad? Connecticut College students study abroad in a wide variety of countries. In addition to traditional study-away options, we offer our students an extraordinary range of innovative international experiences. According to the Fiske Guide to Colleges, "Connecticut College has arguably the best-conceived undergraduate program anywhere." The Office of Study Away has all the information you could ever want to know about international study options at Connecticut. See the "Global Focus" section for more information.

Q: Is there an internship office?

A: There are a multitude of resources for students seeking internships, through the College's four interdisciplinary centers, through the Office of Career Enhancing Life Skills (CELS), as well as faculty, staff, and alumni resources. The College offers students the opportunity to have a funded summer internship.

Q: Is there an honors program? How does it work?

A: There is not an honors program for first-year students; however there is an opportunity for Connecticut College seniors to participate in Honors Study. College juniors who have maintained a 3.5 average in their major courses for the sophomore and junior years may, at the end of the junior year, request permission to be admitted to honors study. At this time, in consultation with their major department, they formulate a tentative plan for a year-long project their senior year. See "Honors Study."

Q: Can I design my own major?

A: Yes, students may design their own interdisciplinary major in consultation with faculty advisers. Student-designed majors are usually formulated and approved in the second semester of the sophomore year and no later than the first semester of the junior year. Read more about determining a major.

Q: Do you offer an architecture major?

A: Yes, we offer a four-year undergraduate interdisciplinary major in Architectural Studies, as well as a minor. This major provides students with structured opportunities to compile the strong design portfolio that is needed for a successful application to a graduate program in architecture.