The Department of Chemistry recognizes the value of study abroad as part of a general liberal arts education and enjoys working with students to explore how study and research abroad could intersect with the chemistry major. Scientific research is collaborative, and increasingly global, and a number of our students have studied abroad or pursued research internships internationally.

Our faculty have taken students on semester-long programs in Stellenbosch, South Africa, as well as shorter programs in Italy and across the United States and in Puerto Rico. Additionally, students participating in research with faculty frequently have the experience of presenting their work at meetings and conferences in the United States, such as the National Meeting of the American Chemical Society and the National Conference on Undergraduate Research, which are held annually at different venues around the country.


Planning to study abroad for a semester requires thoughtful planning beginning in the first semester of the first year. Since it is preferable and often more feasible to take most of the courses for one’s major and for medical or graduate school at Conn rather than in a study abroad program, a semester away means that students may not be able to spread out their required courses to the extent they might otherwise be able to do.

In order to avoid the need to take summer classes, we recommend that students have at least completed introductory chemistry (CHM 103 and CHM 104 or CHM 107 and CHM 204), organic chemistry (CHM 223 and CHM 224) and physics (PHY 107, 108 or 109, 110) by the end of the sophomore year. These are paired courses that are difficult to take in isolation. Taking introductory biology and mathematics classes would help in the first two years as well. While some students may not feel prepared to elect two lab sciences each semester of first and second years, there are potential consequences if you do not, particularly with regard to study abroad.

Study away students typically take at least one or two courses counting toward their major per semester at the foreign institution they are visiting. Students who study in an English speaking country may transfer credits with prior approval by the Chemistry Department Chair. Students who study in a country where instruction is not in English will typically find it easier not to take chemistry courses while abroad.

Students interested in studying abroad should contact Associate Professor of Chemistry Tanya Schneider (Northern Hemisphere) or Professor Marc Zimmer (Southern Hemisphere) for chemistry-specific advice or the Office of Study Away for general advice.

At the bottom of the page we have listed some potential institutions you could attend with chemistry courses that can be taken at these institutions.

These are just some suggestions, and there are many other universities with appropriate classes. Since the contents of classes do change please have your course substitutions approved by the Chemistry Department. This approval will be handled by professors Schneider and Zimmer.


Connecticut College has small travel grants for international study and internships; see the Connecticut College Global Scholars Fund.

If you are interested in combing a language study away semester with a STEM internship abroad, you should consider applying for a Boren Scholarship.

Suggested study abroad institutions that offer suitable chemistry courses

InstitutionConn Chemistry ClassForeign Substitution
University of Southampton, UK CHM 214 CHEM1040
  CHM309 CHEM3045
  CHM204 CHEM1035
  CHM402 CHEM2015
Stellenbosch CHM214 CHM264
  CHM307 CHM254
  CHM309 CHM324
  CHM204 CHM234
  CHM402 CHM364
  CHM414 CHM314
University of Sydney, Australia CHM402 CHEM4202
  CHM307 CHEM2402
  CHM324 CHEM2403
King's College, London CHM324 5CCC0060 Chemistry in Cells

6CCC0010 Advanced Topics in Synthesis
and Reactivity

Queen Mary University, London CHM417A

CHE302U, Organic Synthesis