The Holleran Center's Program in Community Action (PICA) deepens students' knowledge and skills as active and responsive citizens. Students integrate classroom studies in the liberal arts with experiential learning in local and global communities. Through PICA, students acquire and practice problem-solving and community-building skills, such as project designing, budgeting, grant-writing, and effective communicate and interpersonal skills.
PICA scholars advance:
- Human rights, in the United States and abroad;
- Health care reform and improved public health programs;
- Educational equity and enhanced resources for public schools;
- Criminal justice and protection of the rights of the accused;
- Environmental ethics and sustainability;
- and many other pressing contemporary issues.
Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.
- James Baldwin