The Holleran Center Student Community Engagement Grant (formerly referred to as the Social Entrepreneurship Initiative Grant) provides funding to empower students to address important social challenges through meaningful, mutually-beneficial, and sustainable projects developed in partnership with community members. Eligible individuals may seek funding for original projects or for learning and training opportunities.
Some funded projects include:
- Writing Social Justice: Building Power Through Narrative - a project to create sustainable Spanish-language storytelling workshops in New London to change the dominant narrative of immigration.
- Expansion of BOLD in the New London Public Schools. BOLD works with middle school students to empower the next generation of female leaders through media literacy education and mentorship.
- Attendance at the New Entry Sustainable Farming Project’s 2017 Community Food Systems Conference - this conference sought to address common underlying themes between food security, social justice and sustainable agriculture and informed both the recipient’s work with a local food justice organization and her senior research.
- Spokespeople - a campus bike cooperative
- Skate with Connecticut College - free skating lessons for local youth
- Dance Now! - a partnership between the CC Dance Dept. and New London Public Schools
- International Children’s Expo/World Language Day - an annual language and cultural learning event for New London elementary school students.
The Holleran Center seeks proposals from students and student groups who are creatively pursuing lasting social change on campus and in the broader community. The Holleran Center will fund selected projects up to $500. Applicants must clearly articulate their vision and demonstrate they have the potential, commitment and the skills to realize their vision. Applicants must meet with a Holleran Center staff member by the end of October to discuss their proposal idea. Notification of selection will be in early November. For more information regarding the application process and criteria for selection, visit here or email firstname.lastname@example.org.