Options when in default

Student loan borrowers in default now have more options than ever before to repay student loans. The U.S. Department of Education's Default Resolution Group is committed to assisting you by making debt repayment a simple process.

Make a payment

If you have a defaulted student loan held by the Department, you can mail a check or money order to the Department's payment center. You can also make a payment by credit or debit card. They accept American Express, Discover, Master Card and Visa as payment options. Please contact the Default Resolution Group at 1-800-621-3115 to process your credit card payment.

For more information: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/default

Source: U.S. Department of Education