Q: What are the requirements for the major?

Consult the online course catalog under Economics. Majors are encouraged to take courses in mathematics. Since Math 107 is a prerequisite for Econ 230, students should consider taking Math 107 to fulfill their Gen Ed requirement in Mathematics.

Q: What are the requirements for the minor?

Consult the online catalog under Economics. The process for declaring a minor is basically the same as for declaring a major. But note that where the major adviser must sign add/delete form and the like, the minor does not have to do that. You should, therefore, make sure that you let your minor adviser know of any changes to your coursework that may affect your minor.

Q: How do I declare my major?

Once you have decided to major in Economics, you need a "Declaration of Major" form, available from the Office of the Registrar. Bring the form to the chair of the economics department, who will then assign a major adviser based on your preferences and the availability of faculty. You should then return the form, signed by your major adviser, to the Office of the Registrar.

Q: Can I use Economics advanced placement credits from high school or pre-freshman coursework toward my major?

See the section on Course Credits for official College policy on the use of Advanced Placement Credits for application to degree requirements. According to the economics department's policy, students can use Advanced Placement Credits which have been approved by the College for application to degree requirements to place out of Econ 112 or Econ 111.

However, Advanced Placement Credits cannot be used as one of the 10 courses you must take to complete the major.

Q: Can I use an Introductory Microeconomics or Macroeconomics course that I took at another college after matriculation in lieu of an introductory Econ course at Connecticut College?

Yes, provided the Registrar approves the course (see Academic Regulations and Degree Requirements), and provided the department chair agrees that it is equivalent to an introductory course at Connecticut College.

You can also use it as one of the 10 courses necessary to complete the major. However, you must take at least 7 of the 10 courses required for the major at Connecticut College.

Q: How do I get courses taken at other institutions including through SATA and Study Away approved to fulfill requirements for the Economics Major?

The Study Away office provides the following information to all students going on a SATA or Study Away program:

  • Petitioning to utilize a course prior to leaving campus later this month, you should, if possible, check your Study Abroad/Study Away course selection with your faculty adviser. If you plan to enroll in any course that is intended to be utilized toward a major, minor or general education requirement, it must be approved by the appropriate department chairperson here on campus. A "Variation in Courses Utilized to Satisfy the Major/Minor" form should be submitted to have a course taken at another institution used toward your major/minor. The normal petition process must be followed to have a course from another institution used toward a general education requirement. Either form may be completed prior to your leaving campus, or upon your return. There are departments that encourage you to complete the paperwork prior to leaving campus. Should you wait until you return, you do run the risk of the substitution not being approved.

The Economics department requires you to provide the chair of the department with a copy of the syllabus for the course along with a completed copy of the "Variation in Courses Utilized to Satisfy the Major/Minor" form (available from the Office of the Registrar or on CamelWeb.)The chair will determine whether the course can be used to satisfy the requirements for the major. We recommend that you get this approval before enrolling in the course.

Remember that under normal circumstances, majors must take at least seven of the major courses at Connecticut College.

Q: Can I use a business course I took at another college or while studying abroad as one of the 10 courses?

No. Connecticut College does not offer a business major and the economics department does not offer business courses. Therefore, a business course does not fulfill requirements for the economics major.

Many students do, nonetheless, take accounting and related courses at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy or other institutions, but they do not use them to fulfill economics major requirements.

Q: Although I can't use business courses to fulfill the requirements of the major is there some place I can take a business course anyway?

With some planning, students can take business courses at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. You should first contact the Registrar at the USCGA, Mary Crevier, associate registrar, (860) 701-6725, to get a list of courses, since they do not publish it on their website. If you are approved to take the course, she will sign two approval forms, one for the USCGA and one to be delivered to the Office of the Registrar at Connecticut College.

Then you need to complete the "Major/Minor Course Variation Form" available from the Office of the Registrar.

Because the USCGA semester starts one week before ours, you will also have to make arrangements with the Office of Residential Education and Living to arrive early.

Q: Can I substitute a second 400-level course for the required 300-level course?


Q: What courses will count for the required economics course for the IR major?

See the online course brochure for the Government/International Relations department.