Q: What is the faculty-student ratio?

A: The student-faculty ratio is 9:1. Of our 179 full-time professors, 93% hold the highest degree in their field.

Q: How big are the classes?

A: Average class size is 19.

Q: What is the retention rate?

A: Our first-year-to-sophomore retention rate has averaged around 90 percent in recent years and was 91.2 percent for the Class of 2018.

Q: How many students attend Connecticut College?

A: Enrollment is approximately 1,900 students from 45 states, Washington, D.C., and 70 countries. 17% are domestic students of color, and 12% have an international background. 40 percent of students are men and 60 percent are women.

Q: Are professors accessible?

A: Professors are very accessible in person, by telephone, and via email. In addition to scheduling appointments to meet with students, most professors also have open office hours when students are able to drop in and chat informally. Students have also had opportunities to get to know their professors over meals at the dining hall or at professors' homes, collaborating on research, planning study abroad trips, or competing in the annual Camelympics. Please visit the Meet the Faculty section of this website for more.

Q: Will I have my own adviser?

A: Yes! Until you declare a major (typically during your sophomore year), you will be counseled by an advising team, including your first-year seminar instructor who will serve as your pre-major adviser. When you declare your major, you will choose your own major adviser in the appropriate academic department. Learn more about academic advising.

Q: Can I double major?

A: Of course you can double major! Students are required to major in at least one area. However, most choose either to have a major and a minor, or they choose to double major. See "Determining a Major."

Q: How many classes may I take per semester?

A: The typical course load is four classes. To enroll in more than 5 classes, you would first consult with your faculty adviser and academic dean. Learn more about coursework.

Q: Are there services for students with disabilities?

A: We do offer accommodations and services for students with disabilities. The best way to find out if Connecticut College can accommodate your specific needs is to review the Office of Student Accessibility Services website and contact that office directly.

Q: Do I need to take a world language?

A: All students through the Class of 2019 are required to take either two semesters of a new language or one semester at the intermediate level or higher. Starting with the Class of 2020, two semesters of the same language are required. 

Q: Where can I study away or abroad?

A: The question is, where would you like to study? Connecticut College students study awayin a wide variety of locales and countries through over 100 programs. In addition to traditional study-away options, we offer our students an extraordinary range of innovative international experiences. The Office of Study Away has all the information you could ever want to know about international study options at Connecticut. See the "Global Focus" section for more information.

Q: Is there an internship office?

A: Yes! The Hale Center for Career Development helps you put your liberal arts education into action for a career with personalized advising, a Flexible Funding Program and invaluable alumni mentoring. From day one, whether you're a first-year or a transfer student, you’ll start creating an action plan as you build academic and professional skills that empower you to thrive in life and in work. Through the Hale Center, students have the opportunity to complete a funded summer internship. The program is also supplemented through the College's four interdisciplinary centers as well as faculty, staff and alumni resources. 

Q: Is there an honors program? How does it work?

A: There is not an honors program for first-year students; however there is an opportunity for Connecticut College seniors to participate in Honors Study. College juniors who have maintained a 3.5 average in their major courses for the sophomore and junior years may, at the end of the junior year, request permission to be admitted to honors study. At this time, in consultation with their major department, they formulate a tentative plan for a year-long project their senior year. See "Honors Study."

Q: Can I design my own major?

A: Yes, students may design their own interdisciplinary major in consultation with faculty advisers. Student-designed majors are usually formulated and approved in the second semester of the sophomore year and no later than the first semester of the junior year. Read more about determining a major.

Q: Do you offer an architecture major?

A: Yes, we offer a four-year undergraduate, interdisciplinary major in Architectural Studies, as well as a minor. This major provides students with structured opportunities to compile the strong design portfolio that is needed for a successful application to a graduate program in architecture where they may earn the professional degree (i.e. M. Arch.).