Q: What testing is required for international applicants?

A: Standardized testing is optional for applicants to Connecticut College. If English is not your first language, we require an official score report of an English-proficiency exam (TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo or PTE). Connecticut College's code for both the TOEFL and the College Entrance Examination Board is 3284.  

International applicants may request to waive the English proficiency requirement if they meet the criteria below by submitting our request formPlease note, this form only becomes available after your application for admission is received.

  • First Year Applicants:  Native speakers of English at home, or applicants who have completed three full years at a high school which uses English as the primary language of instruction.
  • Transfer Applicants:  applicants who have completed two full semesters of non-ESL writing intensive, college-level coursework at a college or university where English is the primary language of instruction.

Back to Top »

Q: What English proficiency test results are competitive for admission?

A: In general, successful applicants score around a 100 on the TOEFL, a 7.0 on IELTS, a 68 on the PTE and a 130 on Duolingo English test (DET).

Back to Top »

Q: Do you accept attested photocopies of testing?

A: Applicants are advised to have English test score reports sent directly from the testing agency, or directly from their secondary school college counselor if sending test results directly from the testing agency is a financial burden. Otherwise, it is our strong preference to receive all submitted test scores directly from the testing agency.

Back to Top »

Q: Does Connecticut College offer English as a Second Language (ESL) classes?

A: No.

Back to Top »

Q: Should I submit copies of awards received?

A: No, we prefer that you list your awards, certificates and accomplishments on a separate sheet of paper.

Back to Top »

Q: Do you accept applications from non-U.S. citizens for the spring semester?

A: Connecticut College cares deeply about the successful transition of each and every student to our residential community. As a result, non-U.S. citizens are generally not admitted for the spring semester.

Back to Top »


Q: What is the Verification of Financial Support and how is this submitted?

A: Connecticut College is required by the federal government to verify that international students' financial resources are adequate to cover the anticipated cost of their period of enrollment. All non-US citizens applying for admission must submit a Verification of Financial Support. Applicants are prompted to submit this online form after an admission application is received. The form and required supplemental financial documentation is submitted via the Applicant Status Portal after an application is received.

Q: Does Connecticut College offer financial aid for non-U.S. citizens?

A: Yes. Connecticut College meets demonstrated need for all admitted students regardless of citizenship. Admission is highly competitive. We look for students who have shown outstanding academic ability, a high level of competence in English and notable level of non-academic involvement.

Back to Top »

Q: How does Financial Aid Services determine my family's need?

A: Non-U.S. citizens who are applying for financial aid must complete the CSS/Financial Aid Profile. All international students, whether applying for financial assistance or not, must submit the Verification of Financial Support.

Back to Top »