Q: Am I eligible for federal work study?

A. No. International students are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Q. How do I find a job on campus?

A. Available jobs are posted in Handshake in CamelWeb (login required) the third week of August. You need to refer to the regular student positions.

Q. Is there a student employment handbook for international students?

A. Yes. You can obtain a copy of the International Student Employment Handbook via the Student Employment website in CamelWeb. (Login required.) We also recommend that you reference the International Student Tutorial on that page.

Q. Once I find a job, what do I need to do next?

A. Fill out forms:
(1) I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form. Go to the Hale Center. You'll need your passport, I-94 arrival-departure record, I-20 form, and Social Security Card (see below). You can drop off these forms following the schedule on CamelWeb; listed under the forms.

(2) Proof of Hire Form, available at the Hale Center
(3) CT W4 and Federal W4 to be completed with the Accounting Office. Please contact Chris Page at 860-439-2081 or Christopher.page@conncoll.edu for an appointment.

Q. Do I need a social security number prior to beginning work?

A. Yes. Under no circumstances will you be permitted to work prior to getting a Social Security number or providing a receipt that you have applied for one. In order to be permitted to work prior to getting your Social Security card, you need to complete the following steps:

(1) Complete Proof of Hire Form with your supervisor
(2) Use your College Lyft rides to get transportation to/from the Social Security Administration Office
(3) Apply for a Social Security Number at the SSA Office.  (Please be sure to bring your Passport, Visa and Proof of Hire Form with you.)  You must request a receipt that you have applied for the Social Security card and bring a copy of the receipt to the Payroll Office. Only when the Payroll office has a copy of this receipt will your Supervisor be able to originate an Electronic Personnel Action Form (EPAF) on your behalf that will begin the authorization process
(4) You will receive your Social Security card within 60 days via US Mail.  You must bring your Social Security card with you to the Payroll office

Q. Can I have more than one job on campus?

A. Yes. An international student can have more than one job as long as it does not exceed 20 hours a week. By law and visa status, you are not permitted to work more than 20 hours a week in all jobs combined. It is strongly suggested to keep track of the number of hours worked per week so you do not exceed this visa requirement. 

Q. Where do I enter my hours?

A. You need to enter your hours via Self Service in CamelWeb. Handbooks are available on the Student Employment website in CamelWeb. (Login required.)