The Connecticut College libraries — Shain Library and Greer Music Library —are principally for use by current students, faculty, staff and other Connecticut College community members. Visitors should note that they must either have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19, or have received a negative covid test within 72 hours of their visit to campus. All persons must wear masks inside all campus buildings, including the library. Failure to comply with campus and/or library policies or inappropriate behavior may result in the loss of library privileges.
Shain Library Circulation Policies:
|Students||28 Days||28 Days||Library Use Only||Library Use Only||None|
|Faculty/Staff||Academic Year||28 Days||Library Use Only||Library Use Only||None|
|Visitors/Non-College||28 Days||28 Days||Library Use Only||Library Use Only||10 Items Total|
Visitors may register as guest borrowers for an annual fee of $50.00 ($25.00 for New London residents or veterans). Guest borrowers are encouraged to renew their accounts with circulation staff before the expiration date to avoid shortened due dates in the final month
Recalls and Renewals
Patrons must return books by the date indicated on their account, accessible by logging into OneSearch, and must promptly respond to any recall notice in the event that another patron needs an item you have checked out. If a recalled item has not been returned within 7 days of the recall notice, a fine of $7.00 per day is charged. Patrons can renew loans online by logging in to OneSearch. Please note that the number of renewals is limited to two (2).
If an item is more than 28 days overdue, the item is considered lost. Patrons are charged a replacement fee of $50.00 and a $35.00 processing fee for each lost item. Lost media items (DVDs, CDs or LPs) may incur additional charges.
Print Book Requests
Faculty and staff can request that items be retrieved from the library stacks for pickup in Shain Library. For more information on this program, please visit https://conncoll.libguides.com/requestingprintbooks.
Access to software, printing, computer clusters and classrooms is primarily for Connecticut College students, staff and faculty. Visitors to Shain Library may use a terminal on the main floor, located near the Circulation Desk, to look up items in the online library catalog. A computer for visitor use, as well as a media listening station, is also available in Greer Music Library.
CTW and Interlibrary Loan
Materials from Trinity College and Wesleyan University and Interlibrary Loan services are available to current Connecticut College students, faculty and staff only. Library users unaffiliated with the College should make interlibrary loan requests through their local public library.
Shain Library will place on reserve library books, DVDs, and other forms of multimedia available in Shain or Greer libraries, or through the CTW Consortium. Other materials commonly included in electronic reserves, such as (but not limited to) scanned articles and book chapters, are available to students through the College’s Moodle course management system. Personal or departmental copies of textbooks may be placed on reserve; the library does not purchase textbooks for reserve. For additional information please see Course Reserves Policy & Procedures.
Fines on reserve items are as follows:
$1.00 per hour overdue
$1.00 per hour overdue
$100.00 Maximum fine per item
Please direct any questions regarding Shain Library’s reserve policy to email@example.com at 860-439-2663.
Posting for Events and Other Matters
- Posts for events, etc., can only be placed on the bulletin board next to the front door, or on the smaller bulletin board in the Blue Camel Café.
- For events being held in Shain,, the library can arrange for an easel to promote the event.
- Banners may not be hung within the library, nor does the library allow posting on the exterior glass of the library or its doors.
- We ask that patrons be respectful of others, and to honor requests from other users to be quiet. Please note that the first floor is traditionally not a quiet space.
- Students who wish to move whiteboards around the building to work with classmates are free to do so. Please be respectful if the board is in use and/or has other students’ work on it.
- Whiteboards should mainly be used for academic collaboration; as such, we ask that patrons refrain from using them to advertise events.
- Because Study tables in collaboration rooms and on library floors are placed near outlets and network connections, these tables cannot not be moved.
- Please do not remove furniture from the Living Room.
- Events in Shain Library should be booked through the Events Office.
- Only currently registered students may book collaboration rooms. To book a room, visit this page.
- We regret that with the exception of service or therapy animals, dogs are not allowed in Shain Library.