Facilities Management: Extension 2253 or dial (860) 439-2253  
Director of EH&S: Extension 2252 or dial (860) 439-2252  
Campus Safety: 111, 2222 or dial (860) 439-2222
New London Fire Department: 911

Note: Notify the Director of EH&S of ALL spills. The Director of EH&S will determine if the spill is an "Incidental" spill and can be addressed by College employees, or if off-campus resources are required. After hours, contact Campus Safety.

here for Hydrofluoric acid spills or exposures.

General Procedures:

  • Immediately alert others working in the area. Notify supervisor or responsible faculty.
  • Evacuate the area if necessary.
  • If the spill involves a fire or injuries, summon assistance from the New London Fire Department by calling Campus Safety at ext. 2222 or call 911.
  • If the spill involves a flammable material, immediately turn off all potential sources of ignition such as Bunsen burners and any other equipment that uses heat/open flame, or has electrical current.
  • Ventilate the area by opening windows, or ensuring the fume hood is on and the sash is opened.

Incidental Spills

  • Don personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate to the hazards (these should already be available in the lab or workplace); i.e. face shield/goggles, lab coat/apron, nitrile gloves, and any other PPE listed by the MSDS. MSDS' for the Chemistry, Biology, Botany and Neuroscience Departments can be accessed by logging in to "CEMS", on the "Chemical Inventory" page. Chemical products used by all other departments can be found on the "Material Safety Data Sheets" page.
  • Apply "Ampho-Mag" to chemical spills, particularly corrosives.
  • If the spill is outdoors, make every effort to prevent it from entering a storm drain. (Spill kits contain absorbent pads, booms and a supply of Speedi-Dri®) If the spill occurs indoors at a location where there are floor drains, prevent the spill from entering the drain.
  • Clean up the spill using the contents of the Spill Kit. (See the main "Hazardous Materials Spills" page for location of spill kits.)
  • Dispose of spill clean-up materials and contaminated articles in an appropriate container that has been properly completed Hazardous Waste label, in the 180 Day "Hazardous Waste Storage Area."
  • Notify the Director of EH&S.

Major Spills

  • Attend to injured or contaminated persons and remove them from further exposure.
  • Alert other persons in the area to evacuate, closing doors as you exit.
  • From a safe location, notify Campus Safety. Give your name, information on the material spilled (name, quantity, etc), injuries and the exact location of the spill (room, floor, etc.). Be sure to stay on the phone until released by the Campus Safety Officer.
  • Campus Safety will request medical, spill cleanup and/or fire response from the NLFD (or a private spill response contractor.) If the spill is not considered emergency, and there are no injuries or fire, Campus Safety will notify the Director of EH&S prior to calling the fire department.
  • If it can be done safely, prior to evacuation, take defensive measures such as covering drains, or extinguishing sources of ignition, and opening fume hood sashes to ventilate the room.
  • Report to the building entrance to provide information to and/or assist emergency personnel.

Chemical Contamination of Individuals

  • Remove contaminated clothing.
  • Flood exposed area with running water from a faucet or safety shower for at least 15 minutes.
  • If chemical is splashed in the face/eyes, immediately rinse eyeball and inner surface of eyelid with water continuously for 15 minutes. Forcibly hold eye lid(s) open to ensure effective wash behind eyelids.
  • Ensure that someone has requested medical assistance by calling Campus Safety, or dialing 911.