Jump to: From International Airports to New LondonFrom New London to the CampusGetting around in New LondonInternational TravelState ID and Driver's License

From International Airports to New London

John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK)

If you are flying into JFK, Connecticut College offers an airport shuttle service at discounted fares for transportation between campus and John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York, N.Y. This service is available for student arrival in August and for Thanksgiving, winter, spring and summer breaks. If you are interested in using this service, please check the shuttle schedule before buying your air tickets. More information on this can be found on the Transportation page.

If you are landing in JFK on a date when the shuttle is not available or you are not interested in our shuttle service, then you have the following options:

Option 1: You can take a taxicab or Lyft or Uber from the west terminal of JFK to the Moynihan Train Hall train station in Manhattan where you can board an Amtrak train to New London. Here is the Amtrak website for information on the schedule and to purchase a ticket.

Option 2: You can arrange a ride with Connecticut Limousine Service from JFK to the Union Station in New Haven, CT. From here you can take an Amtrak train to New London. For more information please check the Connecticut Limo website.

Newark International Airport (EWR)

From the Newark International Airport there are a few Amtrak trains that will take you directly to New London.

Logan International Airport (BOS)

From Boston's Logan International Airport there is a bus that connects with South Station. This bus is called "Silver Line." The service is free from the airport to the train station. Once you are at the train station, you can take an Amtrak train to New London.

From New London to the Connecticut College Campus

Once you arrive at New London Union Station, you can take a taxicab to the college or schedule an Uber or Lyft ride through their apps.

You can also call the taxi company that currently serves the New London/Groton area Yellow Cab at (860) 443-4321.

Getting around in the New London Area

There are many ways to get around the New London area. The College has programs such as the Camel Ride By Lyft and SEAT that students can use to go to the train station, local restaurants and stores. Trains are an option if you want to go to Providence, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington D.C. etc. For long distance travel, flying is recommended. You need to have a government-issued ID when you fly within the U.S. This could be a U.S. driver's license or State ID or your passport. See the section below on State ID and Driver’s License for more information.

International Travel

If you will be traveling out of the U.S. on holiday, make sure you have a valid re-entry signature on page 2 of your I-20. The signature is valid for 12 months. If your signature is more than 12 months old, please go to the office of the International Student Adviser in Fanning Hall 206 to receive a new signature.

State ID and Driver's License

Even though the State ID or Driver's License is not required, having one may be helpful as you would not need to carry your passport with you all the time for domestic travel. International students are eligible to apply for a CT State ID and Driver’s license.

If you hold a driver's license from France, Canada or Germany, you can transfer your driving license to Connecticut directly.

Please know that it is also possible for you to use the driving license from your home country in the U.S. by obtaining an international driving license. Here is information on how to do this.