There are security phones (blue phones) strategically located throughout the campus. These phones are connected directly to Campus Safety. Security phones may be used to contact Security for any reason, such as to call for an escort, report a suspicious person, or to report an emergency.
Campus Safety's communications officers can then contact the appropriate emergency personnel and direct them to your location. Blue security phones are located at many of the entrances to the main dormitories. Additionally, free standing security phones can be identified by a blue light above each that is clearly visible at night. Students should become familiar with the locations of the security phones and their operation.
Student safety patrollers
The Campus Safety department employs student patrollers who are responsible for patrolling on-campus parking lots and athletic center parking lots and checking all campus emergency phones. These patrollers are equipped with flashlights and radios and are identifiable by their orange security vests.
The patrollers are also available to provide walking escorts for the college community from point to point on campus. Students, faculty, and staff are able to request a walking escort between the hours of 9 p.m. and 1 a.m. by dialing x2222 from any campus phone. The Campus Safety Crime Prevention Committee, composed of Campus Safety officers and students, meet weekly to discuss safety issues on campus and ways to reduce crime on campus.
- Avoid walking alone as much as possible. There is safety in numbers.
- Be alert when you are alone. Be aware of your surroundings and who is around you.
- Walk confidently, directly and at a steady pace. Attackers look for someone who appears vulnerable.
- Avoid isolated and poorly lit places and unpopulated areas, alleys, vacant lots or buildings.
- Be careful when people in a car ask you for directions. Reply from a distance. Never get close to the car.
- When walking to your car or building, always have your keys ready.
- Know where all the emergency phones are on campus.
- Use the campus safe walk service. If a student patroller is not available, a mobile escort will be provided. The campus safety vehicle is marked with the college logo and driven by a uniformed officer.
- Report suspicious persons or vehicles to the Campus Safety immediately.