Connecticut College students are full-time members of an intense residential academic community. The deans ensure that the experience of living in a residential academic community always retains an essential intellectual character, even when students are not learning formally in the classroom.
Dean of the Faculty
The Dean of the Faculty is the principal adviser to the president on academic affairs and leads the faculty in its deliberations on the educational policies of the College. This office promotes academic excellence in research, teaching and service. It also oversees all academic departments, centers and programs at the College; is responsible for appointment of academic department chairs and directors of interdisciplinary major programs as well as the appointment, promotion and tenure of individual faculty members; and is responsible for the academic quality of the curriculum.
Dean of the College
The Dean of the College supports the College's mission as a residential, liberal arts college to prepare students for a lifetime of intellectual endeavor and civic engagement by fostering the integration of students' experiences inside and outside of the classroom. The following offices comprise the DOC division:
- The Dean of the College
- The Associate Dean of the College/Dean of First-Year Students, the Associate Dean of the College/Dean of Sophomores and International Student Adviser, and the Associate Dean of the College/Dean of Juniors, Seniors and Transfers.
- The Dean of Academic Support, who directs the Academic Resource Center and oversees Student Accessibility Services, the Office of Career and Professional Development, and the Roth Writing Center.
- The Associate Dean of the College for Curriculum, who oversees the concrete aspects of the curriculum, particularly relating to the implementation of the new Connections program.
- The Dean of Fellowships and Scholarships, who provides grant and fellowship opportunities for both current students and alumni.
- The Director of National and International Programs, who works to provide students many study abroad and study away opportunities in College-approved programs in the U.S. and throughout the world.
Dean of Students
The Dean of Students, who heads the Student Life division, and oversees residential education and living, student engagement and leadership education, health and counseling services, sexual violence prevention and advocacy, student wellness and health education, new student orientation, and the College’s student conduct process. The Senior Associate Dean of Students has oversight of the College's conduct processes, new student orientation, and wellness programs.
Dean of Institutional Equity and Inclusion
The Office of the Dean of Institutional Equity and Inclusion is responsible for integrating equity and inclusion in every aspect of the educational, residential, and professional life of the College. The Dean and offices in this division work collaboratively with colleagues across campus to promote a culture of inclusion; implement policies in support of full participation; develop and coordinate programs that address equity and inclusion; and foster conversations to enhance open dialogue and discussion. The following offices comprise the DIEI division:
- The Institutional Equity and Inclusion serves as a member of the President’s cabinet and will work closely with key colleagues to promote equity and inclusion in every aspect of the educational, residential, and professional life of the College.
- The Dean of Religious and Spiritual Life, who gives this tradition a formal "home" in the life of the College. Students are encouraged to consider larger questions about their purpose and role in this world. As they examine their values and beliefs, they gain a greater appreciation for the values and beliefs of others.
- The Assoc. Dean of Institutional Equity and Inclusion, who initiates and coordinates programs in support of a pluralistic student experience, promotes ongoing campus discourse about equity, and oversees or collaborates closely with the major offices and programs focused on diversity.
- The Title IX Coordinator, responsible for monitoring and oversight of the overall implementation of Connecticut College’s Title IX compliance.
- LGBTQIA Center
- Unity House
- The Womxn's Center