Coronavirus FAQs for Student Health Insurance Plan


All full-time matriculated Connecticut College students are required to maintain adequate health insurance coverage. All students will have the Student Health Insurance premium on their bill pending the decision to enroll or waive out.

If you wish to use your personal or family health insurance, you must waive the College-sponsored plan to avoid being charged. If you plan to waive out of the plan with an out-of-state HMO plan, or a Medicaid plan from New York, Massachusetts or Rhode Island, complete the Acknowledgment of Financial Responsibility 2020-2021, and submit it to us at Please note that you must still fill out the waiver at

Students with out-of-state Medicaid (other than New York, Rhode Island and Massachusetts) or coverage for emergencies only will *typically* not be allowed to waive out but do have the option of transferring coverage to the Connecticut State Medicaid plan ( This process may not be able to be completed until the student is actually on campus in the fall so it is important that you communicate this information to SHS. Waiver extensions may be granted in this case.

Please visit to fill out the waiver form. You will receive an email once you have successfully submitted your petition. Your plan will be reviewed to ensure that it is a comparable plan. You will then receive a second email approving or denying your petition submission.

If you wish to enroll in the College-sponsored plan, please visit this link,, to fill out the enrollment form.

Again, whether you are enrolling or petitioning to waive the College-sponsored plan you must visit

The deadline for to enroll or waive out for the 2020/2021 spring/summer semester is February 15, 2021. If no action is taken by February 15, 2021, the student will be enrolled in the plan.


The 2020/2021 Student Health Insurance Plan charge for the spring/summer semester is $1,519. The policy term is effective January 1, 2021 to August 14, 2021.

For further information on the 2020-2021 Student Health Insurance Plan, contact customer service at Gallagher Student Health at 877-373-2405 or


For more information regarding the Connecticut College Student Health Insurance Plan or help with deciding whether to enroll or to waive coverage, visit Parents Corner.

Student health plan FAQ

Q: If I am already covered by my family's health insurance, is there a reason that I should also consider taking the College's insurance as well?

A: This is a matter of convenience and privacy. When you are sick, the last thing you want to do is think about saving receipts, processing claims, sending information home to your parents, etc. If you purchase the College's Health Insurance Plan, fees for the College doctor's visits, dispensed medications, in-house lab tests, and psychiatric consults done through Student Health Services will be processed for you. If you do not purchase the College's Health Insurance Plan, these charges will appear as a "Health Service Fee" on your College bill. You will need to submit receipts for claims to your parents' insurance company to seek reimbursement.

Q: Why can't you process my private insurance?

A: With over 1900 students from many states and countries, the task of processing all those different claims would be formidable.

Q: What is not covered by the Student Health Insurance?

A: The plan does not cover some immunizations, routine physical exams or most screening tests. There is an $10 co-pay for MD visits at Student Health Services ($40 for other in-network MD visits) and a $5-40 co-pay for most prescription medications as well as a $250 co-pay for use of the emergency room (applies only to sickness, not accidents).

Q: If I decline the student health insurance, can I still use the College's Student Health Services?

A: Yes, all full-time students may use the Student Health Services. However, if you decline the Colleges Health Insurance Plan, MD visits or any other charges such as in-house labs or certain dispensed medicines will be charged to your student account and a coded receipt will be available through the Student Health Service's Web Portal to submit to your insurance for reimbursement. It is advisable to fax a copy of your insurance/pharmacy card to Student Health whether or not you take the offered college plan. (860-439-5430 fax).

Q: After I have explored all my options and if I decide that I do not want to purchase the College's insurance, what do I do?

A: You must complete the online waiver. Insurance consultants contracted by the College will determine if your coverage is comparable to the College's health insurance, thereby making you eligible for the waiver.

Q: If I decline the college's insurance my first year, will the waiver cover the rest of my time at the college?

A: No, it will not. You must complete the online waiver each year of enrollment at Connecticut College.

Q: Will I have the opportunity to decline the insurance now and accept it later?

A: If your family's coverage changes due to employment or another qualifying event, we can enroll you at a later date.

Q: Does the insurance go through the summer?

A: Yes, the insurance provides annual coverage, effective August 15 to August 14 of the following year.

Q: If I am studying away in the fall, will this insurance cover me?

A. Yes.

Q: If I am studying away in the fall, can I wait to purchase the insurance for the spring semester?

A: Yes, you may waive the insurance and later purchase the insurance in January, which will provide coverage from January 1 - August 14. It will be your responsibility to notify the Administrative Assistant in Student Health Services of your intent to purchase the spring term insurance.

Q: If I am studying away in the spring, may I purchase the insurance for the fall semester only?

A: Yes, you may enroll in the insurance for the fall and then waive out for the spring but you must notify the Office Manager in Student Health Services of your intent.

Q: If I need a referral to a specialist, can I get one without the insurance?

A: Your personal insurance may require a referral from your primary provider at home; we will assist you in trying to obtain this approval.

Q: If I want to know the charges on a student bill that relate to health services can I request an explanation?

A: We will be happy to provide an explanation of any charges to the student. Due to confidentiality, we cannot talk to parents without written permission from the student.