Failure to Abide by Department Regulations (Exam Procedures)
Procedures for taking exams (whether during the semester or final exams) are established by professors and the Registrar’s Office. Each final exam period the Registrar’s Office publishes the procedures for examinations. Students are responsible for knowing and following these procedures.
Breaches of examination procedures include, but are not limited to:
- Bringing a cell phone, ipad/tablet/laptop, or any device with internet connection into an exam room.
- Exceeding the time permitted on the exam (i.e. turning the exam in past the end of the exam period).
- Communication of any kind in the examination room.
- Taking a special examination in a non-designated room or taking a regular examination in a special writing room.
- Leaving the designated exam areas or leaving the building before the completed exam has been returned to the exam center proctor.
- Bringing outside materials, including calculators, into exam rooms. Exams with special permissions (i.e. use of a calculator) must be taken in the designated special writing exam rooms. The calculator may not be an internet connected device (i.e. smartphone).
- Excessive noise within the examination center.
- Using substances in an examination room.
The following pledge must be written and signed on every exam before it is handed in for grading:
“I promise neither to give nor receive any aid on this examination.”
Students must complete final examinations in designated rooms, unless otherwise specified by the professor. The exam (both questions and answers) must be returned to the Test Center staff, sealed in the envelope with the Honor Pledge signed.
The Honor Code applies to all students enrolled at the College.
Self-Scheduled Exam Procedures
- The instructor supplies an examination for each student enrolled for credit. The examination must display the student's name, course number and instructor's name.
- To receive an examination, the student appears at the appropriate exam center, fills out a sign-in form, and provides identification (license with photo or other picture ID required).
- Except for special examinations (exam printed on colored paper, or have a colored sheet of paper as the cover sheet) which must be written in designated rooms, the student selects a writing room in the building in which the exam was distributed and may not leave the building until the completed examination has been returned to the exam center proctor. Cell phones, ipads/tablets/laptops, or any devices with internet connection are never permitted in any exam rooms.
- No outside materials, including calculators, are permitted, except for special examinations where the material is explicitly indicated. The exams which allow materials and/or calculators must be taken in the Special Writing Rooms (exams are printed on colored paper, or have a colored sheet of paper as the cover sheet). As a reminder, cell phones, ipads/tablets/laptops, or any devices with internet connection are never permitted in any exam rooms.
- All exams must be returned to the exam proctor at the end of the official writing time (11:30 a.m. for morning sessions, 4 p.m. for afternoon sessions and 8:30 p.m. for evening sessions). The exam centers open 20 minutes before each exam session. The exam writing time is three hours. If you pick up an exam early, it must be returned early (a student may not have an exam in their possession for more than three hours). Picking up an exam after the start of an examination session (8:30 a.m., 1 p.m., or 5:30 p.m.) does not extend the end of the exam session.
- Students must sign the honor pledge on the exam envelope. When the examination has been completed, the examination sheet or test booklet and blue book(s) used must be placed in the envelope provided. The envelope must be sealed, and the identifying information supplied on the front. The envelope is returned to the exam proctor, who will provide a receipt.
- You may not leave the building with an exam
- Return all exam materials to the exam proctor
- All exams MUST be returned no later than 11:30 a.m., 4 p.m., or 8:30 p.m. in order to be in compliance with exam procedures
- Cell phones, ipads/tablets/laptops, or any devices with internet connection are never permitted in any exam rooms.
Please be aware of the following end-of-semester reminders:
To negotiate an incomplete (deadline is 11:30a.m. on Wednesday, May 17), see the instructor and your dean. Incomplete forms are available from the Deans Office.
Please pay all of your bills prior to leaving campus. Under College policy, unpaid bills will result in a Transcript Hold which will delay the processing of transcript requests.
Degree-seeking undergraduate students who do not expect to be enrolled in the College for the following semester are reminded that the appropriate leave forms should be filed with the Dean of the College. Filing the form will prevent you from receiving bills for next semester, allow the college to reallocate residential space, and open course seats to others.